providence brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• providence brace

My daughter is getting a Providence brace to wear at night. Has anyone had this brace or had any success with this brace? When they took the x-ray of her back in a simulation of what the brace would do it was perfectly straight. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful.
    Thanks
    Kristy :

Hi, Kristy. I wore a providence brace for a few months, and it's great. The first few nights are a little rocky, but it's definitely a plus to not have to deal with the brace at school and activities. My advice is to loosen the brace at first and gradually tighten it up to where it's supposed to be night by night - that's what really helped me. The brace didn't do much in terms of halting my curves, but I had a 45* thoracic and 31* lumbar when I was first braced. It works best with curves under 35*. Good luck!
    I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

Thank you Karen
      What great advice.
      Did you have your surgery?
      Kristy

Comment

I Don't have to sleep in my boston brace

Hi i don't sleep in my boston brace now only in the day time.
        Kara
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Yes, I had my surgery, and it went great! I haven't updated my signature, but my curves - well, curve, actually - is now 15*, which is excellent.
          I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

tolerating providence brace

My daughter just got her Providence brace and gets really uncomftorable in it
            after about an hour or a little longer.. Is this normal? Any suggestions?
            Thanks
            Kristy

Comment

I was diagnosed with scoliosis a year ago, a double curve at 25 and 37 degrees. I started with a providence brace about 7 months ago, and at my last measurement my curves were at 20 and 31, so its been effective for me. I still find it incredibly uncomfortable, so usually I leave the straps loose while in bed and tighten it when I'm close to falling asleep, so I won't have to deal with the discomfort.

Comment

Originally posted by KristyK
                My daughter is getting a Providence brace to wear at night. Has anyone had this brace or had any success with this brace? When they took the x-ray of her back in a simulation of what the brace would do it was perfectly straight. Any comments or suggestions would be wonderful.
                Thanks
                Kristy :

hey kristy...my daughter was just fitted for a providence brace...should be in it in about 10 days...looking for ways to make the sleeping transition a bit easier...sounds like gradually tightening the velcro straps works out...how has your daughter been sleeping now that she has been in it for several months?

Comment

Sorry to say she's not wearing it... Just couldn't tolerate it.
                  She would go to sleep for a while then wake up and just fight it until
                  I took it off.
                  Sorry not a more positive answer.

Comment

hi
                    u can tell ur daughter that if she does not wear it at night she'll end up wearing a boston brace for 22/7 like me im 12and a half and had the providence for 2-3 months
                    i was at 35 degrees now i am 55
                    Mák Veronika
                    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                    40T
                    54L
                    +rotation
                    Boston Brace since December 2005
                    Location in Florida

I play flute.
                    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

at night

well i have a boston brace and i have to wear it at night, i don't really know about the providence brace, but my mother found a knockoff tempurpedic(?) mattress topper online, and it has really been nice compared to sleeping on a regular matress.
                      I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

I have a providence right now, and I'm not tolerating it very well at all. I still sleep terribly in it, and am "fighting" my ortho for a Boston, but that's another story! Other people have great responses to it, but for me, I'd just rather be in a more comfortable brace 23/7 than an uncomfortable one at night.
                        Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Thought following article might be relevant;

Effectiveness of the Providence nighttime bracing in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a comparative study of 36 female patients
                          Timo Yrjönen1 , Mauno Ylikoski1, Dietrich Schlenzka1, Riitta Kinnunen1 and Mikko Poussa1

(1) ORTON Orthopaedic Hospital, Tenholantie 10, 00280 Helsinki, Finland

Received: 27 June 2005 Revised: 28 September 2005 Accepted: 9 December 2005 Published online: 21 January 2006

Abstract The aim of the study was to assess the results of treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) with the Providence nighttime brace at 1.8 years after discontinuation of bracing. A total of 36 consecutive female patients with an average Cobb angle of 28.4° and an apex below T 10 were studied prospectively. For comparisons, 36 matched patients treated with the Boston full-time brace were studied retrospectively. With the Providence night brace an average of 92% for brace correction of the primary curve was achieved and during follow-up progression of the curve >5° occurred in 27% of the patients. In the control group of the Boston full-time brace patients, brace correction was 50% and the progression of the major curve occurred in 22% of the patients. We conclude that the Providence night brace may be recommended for the treatment of AIS with curves less than 35° in lumbar and thoracolumbar cases.

Comment

my curve jumped from 18 degrees to 43 degrees in 6 months so i had no time for a brace. which i am kinda happy b/c i didnt have to deal with that mess. but if you stop wearing the brace wont the curve go back to what it was? so ultimately surgery is the best idea? im just wondering...

Comment

Working...
                            X