Boys with Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys with Scoliosis

Hi, I'm new here. I was told last Feburary by my son's school that he has scoliosis. We took him for X-Rays and the curve was not big enough to be measured. Now a year later he went back to the dr and the curve is now at 15 degrees. He has to back in 6 months for another X-ray. He doesn't need a brace yet and I hope he doesn't have to get one. Does anyone here know of any boys with Scoliosis. My son is 12 yo and his name is Josh. He likes to race go-karts, play soccer and hockey. There is a family history of scoliosis in my family and my husbands. I hope to find my son an email pal.

Hi and Welcome to the list.

I have two children with scoliosis. One (my 17yr old daugher) is the typical adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Her curve was diagnosed just before her 13th birthday. She started with a 22 degree lumbar curve and began wearing a TLSO brace. She wore the brace at night for about 6 months, then gave up completely on the brace. Currently her curve measure about 40 degrees with a 26 degree upper compensatory curve and a significant rotation of the spine. She's in a wait-and-see mode...

My 8yr old son was born with severe congenital scoliosis. His is the uncommon kind. He has had 7+ surgeries for his scoliosis, with the next surgery scheduled for March 1 (rod lengthening surgery).

There is a great website geared for young scoliosis patients going through bracing, observation and surgery. It is found here: http://www.spinekids.com I think he will have a better chance at finding a scoliosis penpal on that site. You are welcome to post here. I hope you can find support for yourself as well as for him. Feel free to ask questions and share experiences. That's what we are here for.

My best,
    Carmell
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

HEY i know exactly what you mean. i am a 15 year old guy and was diagnosed last year with scoliosis. haha if i had gone to the scoliosis screening my school had when i was in 6th grade i probly could avoided all this. i have a 52 thorasic and 46 lumbar curves. I REALLY HOPE he doesnt ever get to the stage of a brace. but if it comes to it WEAR IT if you dont its no good. i just barely got my brace and its not fun but if it might prevent me from having surgery i am gunna wear it. well anyways best of luck to you and your son. and if you want to contact me my email address is shaneric25@hotmail.com

Comment

boy with scoliosis

hi im an 18 year old boy with scoliosis.. and no i dont think there are many boys with it. you two are the first that i have heard. but my curve is probably more than 50*, and i absolutely hate it. . if your son has to get a brace then you better get one, because i never did, and my curve just kept gettin worse. right now i wish i could get the surgery but i play baseball in the summer and am goin to college next year. so i guess i might have to put it off..

Comment

Hey!

hey! im a 14 1/2 y/o boy with 30 degree scoliosis with Scheuermann's Disease!!! both came from alot of bad medical problems. in january of 2002, my left hip gave me alot of pain to were i was in a wheelchair. by april, the pain was gone but after seeing 7 doctors, none could diagnose it. in that summer my feet began to hurt, so i saw a podiatrist in houston to tell me that i had the worst flat feet he had ever seen. they were so flat that it moved all my bones. i also found out that was the prblem withmy feet. after having my 5th and last surgery(and thinking i was finished with doctors) i found out that i had idiopathic scoliosis. since i had scoliosis, i had a condition called avascular in my thoracic spine which meant i wasnt getting enough blood to my spine. thats how my Thoracic Scheuemann's Kyphosis(hump in back) Disease came up. i go back to my ortho. in a month. a normal kyphosis is 45 degrees. they do surgery at aproaching 60 degrees. mine is 57. doesnt that SUCK? well hope you guys dont have to have the brace and get better!!
          OH!! i almost forgot, if you want to go to a great scoliosis web site, go to [url]www.iscoliosis.com
          Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
          www.myspace.com/ross40728
          Had surgery on 9/20/04
          81* Scheuermann's Disease
          40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
          U Rod Inserted
          Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Hey Matt...

Did your doctor tell you that they do Kyphosis surgery at 60*? My daughter's Kyphosis is 79* and her doctor doesn't consider surgery until 90*. Just thougth I'd let you know.

Mary Lou

Comment

Wow!!

Mary Lou, thank you for telling me about your daughter's doc. I believe it is ridiculous how one doc can tell you one thing and another another thing. Please ask your daughter or yourself to write me an e mail at hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com.
              Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
              www.myspace.com/ross40728
              Had surgery on 9/20/04
              81* Scheuermann's Disease
              40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
              U Rod Inserted
              Fused from T2-L3

Comment

My son is also 12, he is newly diagnosed. Maybe he can chat w/your son. He has lots of questions, that I can't answer right now. He is afraid his classmates are going to laugh at him, he is a very active child, into swimming, snowboarding, rollarblade, sports and of course video games. What affects of a brace will he incounter?

Comment

Working...
                X