Update on Ian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Ian

It's been a while since I last posted here, but I wanted to update on how Ian is doing. This past October he had another set of films taken and it showed that he was indeed progressing. In April, he had a 29 degree right thoracic curve. In October, the films showed not only a 36 degree RT, but also a Left Lumbar compensatory curve of 30 degrees . We headed up to Shriners to participate in the ETTP conference with Miss Mehta. She looked at his films and said that she had never seen that amount of rotation for the degree of curve he had, so she recommended casting. They took another set of films and he was up to 43 degrees Right Thoracic. His rotation is also at 45 degrees which they said was significant.

He received his first cast on November 8th and he's doing great! He's adjusted well and he is down to 7 degrees in the cast. He can do everything he used to be able to do except sit on the floor. He barely seems to notice that he is wearing it. We head back to Shriners next month for his second cast.

Regarding Ians Casting

Originally posted by IansMommy
    It's been a while since I last posted here, but I wanted to update on how Ian is doing. This past October he had another set of films taken and it showed that he was indeed progressing. In April, he had a 29 degree right thoracic curve. In October, the films showed not only a 36 degree RT, but also a Left Lumbar compensatory curve of 30 degrees . We headed up to Shriners to participate in the ETTP conference with Miss Mehta. She looked at his films and said that she had never seen that amount of rotation for the degree of curve he had, so she recommended casting. They took another set of films and he was up to 43 degrees Right Thoracic. His rotation is also at 45 degrees which they said was significant.

He received his first cast on November 8th and he's doing great! He's adjusted well and he is down to 7 degrees in the cast. He can do everything he used to be able to do except sit on the floor. He barely seems to notice that he is wearing it. We head back to Shriners next month for his second cast.
    Sorry to hear about his curve increasing but that is great that you've got him casted & the measurement is so low, and that he's adjusted so well! That's very encouraging.

Coincidentally we just had Solana's Ped. Ortho f/u, at our last appt. we (too) found her curve increased from 26 to 53 in the 3 month period of time with a 75% increase in her RVAD measurement, her Dr. recommended casting her immediately biding her MRI results showed no other abnormalities, we found today that it was totally normal so need to schedule her casting A.S.A.P. I pray we can get it as straight as Ian's in only one casting, isn't that a positive sign?? He said we have just as much of a chance to be fighting the curve through her toddler growth spurt & still have to maybe deal w/surgery at some point, I pray she doesn't have to go through that! I'm thankful however there were no congenital issues that called for any immediate surgical correction. I'm still just completely baffeled by this entire thing (scoliosis) and why in the heck it's something we're having to have my baby going through?? I'm sure that goes for you and anyone else having to deal with this but it just still seems kind of surreal to me, being that it's so uncommon in infants, like, why us? I had an easy healthy pregnancy & she's so perfect in every other way. I feel so helpless knowing all I can do is pray this casting is successful for them. Her PO is going to start her with one arm & one leg to keep her extremely straight since her torso is only the size of a 15 month old, I haven't seen this in any pics I've looked at but can see how it might be beneficial, compromising though too maybe. How was Ian's done? Well I really trust and like this Dr. so I hope he gets her fixed! I hope Ian is still doing well, it wasn't that long ago you posted. Hope your holidays were good considering & Happy New Year, wish us luck too!

Comment

It sounds like your doctor isn't doing the Mehta casting...I highly encourage you to look into that. It sounds like he is doing a spica cast possibly? The Mehta casting actually corrects the spine whereas the older risser casts generally just hold the curve, but doesn't correct it. I will PM you with a link to Ian's photo album so that you can see his cast.

Comment

Also, yes, a flexible curve is better than rigid, but if it is overly flexible then you run the risk of the curve bouncing back out of the cast and therefore may take longer to straighten.

Comment

Awe, made me tear up, sorry. I'm so emotional about this abnormalcy, Last bath, awe I've been holding & cuddling her as much as possible too. Anyway, Ian is so adorable! It's so good that he adjusted so well, after seeing the size of the cast it's easy to see how, doesn't seem too dibilitating at all.

Well I'm going to research the casting too, & talk w/the Dr. about what he uses, thank you for the advice. He said he'll use one arm and leg on the first time b/c her torso is so small and to get a good grip on the spine & her posture, I think she's a little smaller that Ian from what I can tell. I don't even know what casting they use, I'm supposed to call them and discuss everything about it which I'll do after researching it more now I guess. We're taking a vacation on the 8th and will want to have her done soon after we return. I asked him to guestimate the # of infants he's helped correct vs. the ones who continue to be casted & will eventually need surgery, he said the later outcome is more likely, lik 60-40, 70-30, whatever. I think he just doesn't want to give false hope & be wrong. But thank you so much for jumping on getting me advice, I really appreciate it & definitely want to make sure it's done right while there's still time. I haven't ruled Shriner's out, we've stuck with this team because San Diego Children's Hospital is well known for it's Pediatric care & team too & they've been quick & on top of everything, but we also have a Shriner's in L.A. we can look into if neccessary. Anyway, I will definitely hit you up on ?'s if I have any.. thanks so much again!

Comment

Working...
          X