Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

ok i am only 15 and have been diagnosed with scoliosis and my curves are 52 and 46 and i am in a brace but they dont expect the brace to do anything just stabalize it till im done growing... although i have heard that curves get worse in adulthood and i think i should maybe consider surgery. but i first want to find out if most people do or dont stay the same. any comments will be very appriciated and considered when i decide about surgery thank you!

Hi shaneric!

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12 and my curve then was about 14-15 degrees. When I was 16, my curve was 18 degrees and my Dr. told me I was done growing and wouldn't have to worry about my curve getting worse. In December of 2002, I was having horrible back pain. I decided to make an appointment to have my back checked. When I saw my x-rays, I couldn't believe it. My curve had practically doubled to 33 degrees in 4 years. I could barely hold back tears. Dr. Porter told me to go to physical therapy and come back in a year, unless I was in a lot of pain. He also said that he would consider surgery if my curve progressed to 40 degrees.

I have an appointment next Thursday for x-rays. I can't wait to see what my curve is. I won't be surprised if it moved because my clothes fit differently. My shirts tend to twist (I guess it's because of my rib hump).

I don't know if all adults curves move, but mine obviously did. I hope yours doesn't. Are you in any pain? Your curves are much larger than mine. Are you done growing?

Have a good day!

Michelle
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

i am not in anymore pain than anyone else (i think) and they are going to keep me in the brace for a year unless i get the surgery becuase they dont know if i am done growing. if when i am done growing and my curve doesnt get worse by then, my doctor doesnt want to do surgery becuase of all the effects the surgery can have, but he isnt even up on all the knew stuff they have been coming out about scoliosis surgery. so we are thinking about getting a second opinion about it. he says that my curve could or could not get worse in adult hood but when i here storiees like yours an 18 going to a 33 in adulthood that makes me feel that my odds about mine staying the same are slim to none... so thank you very much for your reply i really appreciate it!

Comment

i am not in anymore pain than anyone else (i think) and they are going to keep me in the brace for a year unless i get the surgery becuase they dont know if i am done growing. if when i am done growing and my curve doesnt get worse by then, my doctor doesnt want to do surgery becuase of all the effects the surgery can have, but he isnt even up on all the knew stuff they have been coming out about scoliosis surgery. so we are thinking about getting a second opinion about it. he says that my curve could or could not get worse in adult hood but when i here storiees like yours an 18 going to a 33 in adulthood that makes me feel that my odds about mine staying the same are slim to none... so thank you very much for your reply i really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
        X