what to do what to do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do what to do???

i have a 52 T and 46 L and i am currently in a brace. they do not think that it will help any just stop the curve.....ya so anyways i was wondering what do you know about people who have just not had the surgery and just accepted the curves when this severe i would be thankful for any comments THANK YOU

Mine isn't quite that bad but I have 35 on the top and 30 at the bottom (at least that's what it was when I got my brace in May of 2002). A lot of times I have just thought, "Why don't I just get the surgery so I don't have to wear the brace?" But I think what happens is that I (I dont know if this goes for you too) have to wear my brace until I am completely done growing because while I am still growing my back can get worse. But you can't have surgery until you stop growing either (i think??) because if you keep growing the rods won't fit anymore. So you would still have to wear your brace until the surgery. Did that make sense? and to anyone else, am I correct?

-Laura
    IM: Shamrockdancer33

Comment

hey laura~
      you are correct about tha brace issue...if you wear a brace, you have to wear it until you stop growing plus 2years, which for gurls would just be 2yrs after you start mentruating. about the surgery, you dont have to wait till you are through growing, at least i didnt. but if you arent through growing, your growth is stunted, meaning that where they fused tha bone, will never grow again, but the rest of your spine will still grow. if anyone has any questions just email me at LilCutiPie_07@yahoo.com or my AIM sn is.... legalblondelle21
      ttyl luv ya~ *ellen*
      much <3
      ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
      before--51 and 21
      after--15 and 14

Comment

Re: what to do..what to do

It is hard to say what you should do. Obviously surgery is a lot for anyone to go through, however, I have met a couple of people who chose to not have the surgery and their curves grew which resulted in a hump and quite a large disfiguration, overall. I don't mean to have it sound scary. If you don't have the surgery there is always the chance your back will change for the worse, though. It affects more than your overall physical appearance, but also affects your confidence, how you view yourself and how others view you (which is unfortunate, but true, I think). I had surgery for my curves which were much worse than yours, however, I seriously can sit here 12 years later and say that I am happy with the decision I made for myself. Also, keep in mind that not only the appearance matters, but inside your bones are different from what they should be which can cause other health issues and also much pain! My curves were so bad that I was having trouble breathing, laying, etc.

I know how hard a decision it is to make. Believe me, because I (as many others) had to make it and go through it. It's not easy, however, again..I can't imagine how deformed I'd be if I hadn't made that decision to go through with it! I was in a lot of pain, too, though.

It all depends on so much. Either way, whatever you choose to do know that there are MANY people out there that will support you throughtout your time with it! Like me! Much luck!
        ~Andrea
        Write me anytime! I'm here for you!
        Andrea

Comment

omg i really small and i wont grow at the fused part of my back that means i will be shorter than i could be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Boo, don't panic. What is true for one person is seldom true for another. If you have a question, ask your parents.

Comment

That whole "you won't grow after surgery" is completely false. The spinal fusion/rods do not restrict your growth.
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

With "normal fusions" (ie not growing rods) surgeon's always try and schedule the surgery for after you have completed the majority of your growing (or only have a little bit of growing left). Which means that your organs have the most optimum room. They determine this in a number of ways, some include taking xrays of this bone in your hip and taking xrays from your wrist and using the rischer (scuze spelling) scale. You will still have "chance" of growing above and below your fusion (I know because from after my post surgery height where I gained one centimetres, I did grow about another centimetre and a half after that). Very few people do grow in the site of their fusion because this part is solid and it is very difficult for the bone to "grow". Also the surgeon tries and makes sure that you gone over your growth spurt (this is for most cases, some cases of scoliosis have to be done earlier for many reasons) so that you will have only the minimalist amount of growth. . A lot of people "gain height" from their fusion because they are being "straightened"

Comment

Working...
                X