No announcement yet.

Scoliosis and Birth Control Patches???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and Birth Control Patches???

Hello:
    My best friends suffers from Scoliosis and about 6 months ago she started using the birth control patch. Since that time it seems like her Scoliosis condition has worsened by 60% percent or more. She has began gaining weight and has chronic pain from the top of her spine to her tailbone. While she did have problems with her back before starting the birth control patch I do believe it may be causing the scoliosis to become worse. I have done some research online and cannot find any information about birth control causing scoliosis to get worse, however, I have heard that scoliosis can be triggered by fluctuations in hormone levels. My friend is a 25 year old white female. Do any of you have any information about this corelation? I would greatly appreciate any insight that you might have. Please e-mail me at swilliams171@charter.net

Thank You!

Shawn

Cateyez,

She has began gaining weight

This was the very first thing that jumped out at me about your concerns. Weight gain will effect how your back feels.....scoli or not. Also,do you mean that her condition feels 60% worse or that her actual curve is now at 60 degrees?? There is a HUGE differance.

If she has concerns, she needs to talk with her orthopedic doc not her Gyn doc.
    SandyC

Comment

Weight gain and back pain.

I do not the degree to which her back curvature has gotten worse but I do know that it has gotten worse. The pain she is having is 60% worse. I would say she's probably gained about 10lbs...which doesn't seem like a lot but she's not a big girl. I believe she has been seeing an orthapedic physician but so far they have not been able to help her and have suggested pain management therapy. I was just thinking that maybe the Birth Control Patch might be escalating the scoliosis because it increases hormone levels. This is just a theory...obviously weight gain in her breast has put an added strain on her back. Could the Birth Control Patch also cause inflamation in her spine? I've tried to find out more about these Birth Control Patches but they really isn't a lot of data out there. There isn't much information about how drugs can affect Scoloisis period. What do you think?

Thanks so much!

Shawn

Comment

si-dysfunction

PubMed: Mierau DR, Cassidy JD, Hamin T, Milne RA., 1984
        "In this study, we found a high percentage of school aged children had sacroiliac dysfunction and low-back pain."
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...str&query_hl=9

Dynamic Chiropractic, Nov 3, 2003 by Christensen, Kim
        "A dysfunctional SI joint is often ignored or dismissed as an insignificant feature of musculoskeletal health. However, SI subluxation is a legitimate syndrome, separate from the type of low back pain associated with disc conditions, lumbago, or sciatica. In fact, SI joint dysfunction has been implicated as a common cause of back pain in more than 30 percent of children."
        http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n9306719

ChiroWeb
        "A dysfunctional SI joint is often ignored or dismissed as an insignificant feature of musculoskeletal health. However, SI subluxation is a legitimate syndrome, separate from the type of low back pain associated with disc conditions, lumbago, or sciatica. In fact, SI joint dysfunction has been implicated as a common cause of back pain in more than 30 percent of children."
        http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/21/23/03.html

ChiroSmart
        "A dysfunctional sacroiliac (SI) joint is often ignored or dismissed as an insignificant feature of musculoskeletal health. However, SI subluxation is a legitimate syndrome, separate from the type of low back pain associated with disc conditions, lumbago, or sciatica. In fact, SI joint dysfunction has been implicated as a common cause of back pain in more than 30% of children. Additionally, a study involving the correction of SI joint dysfunction in patients presenting to a chiropractic center over one day found an incidence of 57% for SI joint dysfunction."
        http://www.chirosmart.net/rst/sone.txt

The Journal of Pediatrics
        "Studies on healthy children revealed pelvicsubluxations in 40% of all school children, cervical fixation in 15.8%. After manipulative treatrnents,the problems rarely recurred"
        http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...Day+1987&hl=fi

Comment

expatient,
          What does your reply have to do with Cateyez question about birth control and scoli????? Please stop pushing your SI thing
          SandyC

Comment

Cateyez,
            The only thing I know about hormones and the spine is the LACK of same. For instance post menopausal women stop produceing estrogen and develop osteoporosis. But osteo and scoli are not related. However if you do have osteo the loss of bone mass could possibly escalate the curve of the existing scoli.

It is possible that your friend may be developing osteoARTHRITIS..not the same as above. She needs to be seeing an ortho that deals with ADULT scoli patients. Not all ortho's deal with adults or scoli for that matter. You might want to use the search engine on this site to see if you can find a qualified doc in your area.
            SandyC

Comment

Working...
            X