Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good or bad news?

hello Hello everyone!
    well last night the doctors told be i was going to get surgery on my back for my scoliosis, and at first i was kinda relieved that i was going to be done with this after the surgery. but when i woke up this moring i was nervous about everything ! i dunno maybe im worrying to much but whatever. so how long did it take anyone who had this surgery to go back to school?

-Elissa
    ***lilcutie82187 (im)

Hey there,
    I had my surgery 15 years ago so I am sure things have changed but I will tell you my experience. I went into the hospital 5 days in advance and was in traction to straighted the spine. Then I had the surgery. I had 1 harrington rod put in that is 12" long. You are on heavy medication for the first 2-3 days after surgery. Then they get you up and start you moving!! I was in the hospital for a total of 8 days after surgery. When you first get moving it hurts! I did some crying and feeling bad for myself. But it passes quickly!!!! I went home with a bottle of tylenol. I was very aware that I had just had surgery but I was not really in any pain. I wore a cast around my back(similar to the shape of the brace if you wore one of them) for 3 months. I had my surgery on April 20th and I did not return back to school that year.
    I was able to do things with my friends as long as it was "low-key". It is a scary thing! Don't be afraid to ask people who have gone through it and your doctor every single question you can think of!!! Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Comment

Working...
    X