Hi I am a new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I am a new member

Hello. I am a female, and I just came across this site because I have been diagnosed with scoliosis since I was 16, currently I am 27. I searched on the internet for ways of improving the scoliosis and there have been lots of links to chiropractic care that can help with this kind of thing. I decided to take upon myself to go to one of these chiropractic clinic, and for the most part it has helped my neck become more moveable than before. And my pain in my muscles on my lower right have deteriorated somewhat, so now I have little pain than before. I am quite sceptical though because the chiropracter said that i should come in three times a week for 12 weeks. I thought to myself that is too much "cracking" for bones. Although I have a degree of about 50, which makes me really depressed and saddened, I don't want to make my vertrabrae suffer all of those treatments. So, I don't want to risk that.
    I am quite ashamed of wearing a bathing suit and things that cling and show the curve of my back and waist.
    I hope to make some friends in this chat room who I can relate to on this disease.

Hi Scoliogist...

I had a similar experience. When I went to see my first chiropractor, he told me that I needed to come to him 3 times a week in order to keep my curve from progressing. Unfortunately, I believed him. Since then, I've learned that chiropractic has absolutely no effect on curves. As you found, it can help with pain, but it doesn't doesn't have any effect on the natural history of the disease.

Here's a link to the abstract of a study showing just that:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Good luck. Hope you're able to avoid surgery. If you're not able to avoid surgery, please know that it probably won't be the worse thing you'll ever experience.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi sociologist. It's nice to meet you. I'm 35 and had Herington Rod placement to correct near 60 degree curvature when I was 13. I have 20ish degree curves now. Feel free to email me if you wish at vivacia_sedai@hotmail.com.

Comment

Hi, Sociologist -- I have been to chiropractors off and on over the years. In my opinion, they can occasionally help if you're having acute problems in a certain area, but chiropractic WILL NOT REDUCE YOUR CURVE OR CURE YOUR SCOLIOSIS. They will always tell you that you have to go several times a week in the beginning since your spine will be fighting the effects of what they're doing, etc. It can get very expensive. In my experience, chiropractic can be helpful, in a limited way, but retraining your muscles on your own via exercise is a far superior method of pain control. I actually stopped seeing a chiroprator several years ago when he made a comment, while adjusting me, that my curve seemed to be "improved." The lack of knowledge (or outright deceitfulness) that his comment demonstrated really annoyed me.

One thing that I have done, and has really helped me, is practicing yoga with the help of Elise Browning Miller's "Yoga for Scoliosis" tape, which you can purchase online. Elise's curve is, I believe, around 45 degrees. I love the tape and the kind, reassuring, gentle way that Elise has. It has made my back feel much, much better, and yoga also helps you learn how to hold your body so that your curve is much less noticeable.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies! It has really helped me understand that there are people out there who share the same thoughts and feelings about scoliosis. The chiropractor was reassuring me this morning that I need to come in for regular adjustments because that would improve the curve over time, to stop the degree of the curve. I was skeptical because my sister told me that she saw a story on 60 minutes that a lady went to see a chiropractor to help with her high blood pressure. Then over a period of time, she became paralyzed. I felt really shocked and scared. I wouldn't want to turn out that way. So, now I am skeptical as to what the chiropractors can do. Sure they may seem great to help you with your pain, but in the long run they can damage you in a certain way.

After reading your comments, I feel intregued at how you are coping with this disease. I have looked on the internet about doing yoga as Erica mentioned, and I think that would be a good alternative idea to help with the posture and lower back pain. I think I may take up on that!

If anyone wishes to e-mail me, feel free to at nspez@netscape.net

Hope you are having a great day!

Comment

Working...
          X