Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Doctor for Adult Scoliosis in Indianapolis, IN. (post Harrington Rod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Doctor for Adult Scoliosis in Indianapolis, IN. (post Harrington Rod)

Hello,

I'm looking for a surgeon in Indianapolis who has experience working on spines that already have Harrington Rods and fusions in place. I have a pelvic rotation that needs stabilized and a herniated disc.
    Age 37. Had S-Curve treated with Harrington Rod Fusion at top of spine, lower spine fusion with hip bone chip filler at age 13. Wore plaster body cast for 8 months during 8th grade. Was treated by Dr. G. Rapp at St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN. Currently have pain from pelvic rotation and a herniated disc. Thinking about surgery and SS.

Also looking for Indiana doctor/surgeon

My mother is 58, has had two previous Harrington rod surgeries, one at 16 and one at 20, and now has osteoperosis that has basically pulled everything away from the rods, so she needs surgery again. I've found some names via the doctor search, but would love to know if anyone has personal experience with any of them...

--Suzanne

Comment

Indiana patient, Chicago doctor

I live in Northwest Indiana and was referred to The University of Chicago. My primary surgery was in 1975 for double curves, 56 and 52 degrees with a Harrington Rod. After 30 years, I began to break down below the fusion at L5 and S1, and was having severe pain symptoms above the fusion in my neck, shoulders and scapulas. I was blessed to be under the care of the most incredible surgon I've ever met (I'm a nurse, so I've met LOTS of surgons!). His name is Dr. Purnendu Gupta and he specializes in Adult and Pediatric Scoliosis at U of C. Although the secondary repair work, which included removing the rod, bone grafting L5 into the fusion and adding 12 screws to hold it together, was a much bigger surgery and recovery than I ever anticipated, he did an awesome job with the reconstruction. I'm 18 months post-op now and have some mild to occasionally moderate discomfort and muscle spasms at times which, with very low doses of medication (Darvocet), is pretty well controlled. Dr. Purnendu Gupta is an amazing person, a brilliant surgeon and all around good guy. I highly recommend him to anyone in the area.
      45 y/o female, retired RN
      1st scoli surgery '75, double curves, 56 & 52 degrees with Harrington Rod T4-L4.
      2nd reconstruction '05, removal of rod, pull L5 into fusion, secured with 12 screws and 2 plates.
      Presently 18 month post-op, doing relatively well.

Comment

Working...
      X