Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help plz. :)

Hey ,
    I'm newly 14. I was diagnosed with scoliosis a yr ago, and its gone from 15-45 and up in one school year. I really want to get surgery.And i'd rather have scars than this.
    I'm still growing, i have another yr 1/2 to go, and i don't want to wait that long, so i was wondering if i can get surgery now, and if so:
    -what are the risks?
    -what're the after-effects?
    -will i be able to stand longer? for concerts?
    -will i be very mobile?
    -how long would i be in a hospital?
    -and im in tx, and my mom had alot of really bad surgeries, recommend anyone?

whoever reads this... HELP!

Luv you, Thanks!
    ~Racheal~

You should consult with a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon so you can find out if your curve has progressed to the point of needing surgery. The doctor would also be the best one to answer all of your questions.

Good luck,

Renee

Comment

thanks!

thanks,
      i thought 45 degrees was the sugery point
      and do you have any pediatric orthopaedic surgeon's addresses? i don't know of anyone.

thank you!
      racheal

Comment

Well, 45 deg. is borderline for surgery but if you still have 1 1/2 yrs. left of growing, there is a good chance it can progress. I don't know where in TX you live, but my son's surgeon did some training at Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas. They have an excellent reputation, comparable to Shriner's in that their focus is on pediatric orthopaedics, and they will treat regardless of the ability to pay. Hope this helps.

Renee

Comment

thanks again!

that helps alot, thank you! I was shooting for austin, but dallas works!! Thanks so much!

luvs,
          Racheal

Comment

If you look through the Physician/Hospital Feedback threads you can probably find recommendations on other Texas ortho surgeons. Or go to the first page of this website, click on "Resources" and they should have a physician locator, where you type in your zip code or something like that, and it will bring up the names of doctors closest to your area. Same thing for www.iscoliosis.com.

Good Luck,

Renee

Comment

Hey Racheal,

You're in luck. Dr. Kurt Von Rueden -- IMHO one of the best scoliosis surgeons in the country -- is in Austin.

http://txscoli.com/

Best,
              Dave Wolpert

Comment

Either Scottish Rite or Shriners are excellent hospitals. My husband is a Shriner and Scottish Rite member. He works on several committees to raise funds for both of these hospitals. They are incredible. We used Shriners in Portland, OR, because that was what was closest to us. But, either hospital has excellent doctors.

Comment

Help!

Wow, thanks everyone!

But i have but 1 more question:

Can i get surgery if i am still growing? I don't want to wait to wait 2 yrs;it's bad as is at 45-50 degrees.

Thank you everyone!!
                  Racheal

Comment

hi racheal,

my name is lindsay and im 15 and im having scoliosis surgery june 19. i would love to talk. whats your e-mail address or AIM? im in nc (btw).i know just what your going through. i went in february 05 and my curve was 18. then i went in august and my curve jumped up to 45. so in six months is it doubled plus some. so if you want to talk, just let me know!! i know i want to talk to someone on what we're going through. no one else can really relate, they think they can and try to help but only we know what its really like, you know? well anyways...i know pretty much everything about scoliosis now. (more than i want to even! lol) i've done a ton of reading on it. im totally freaked for my surgery. and we are going through pretty much the same thing here.

and ps. no, the curve cant get worse after the surgery, because during the surgery they put titanium rods beside your spine to keep it straight and from not moving.

and for your other questions..

hospital stay- surgery is about 3 hours long, be in the hospital for 5-7 days

after effects- lots of physical therapy, land and in the pool, scar down the spine (they say it will fade eventually but im sceptical lol), rest for a few weeks, no lifting heavy things for a few weeks ie. backpack. (one reason my surgery was sceduled for the summer. we had to talk my doctor into waiting until summer.)

yes, in time you'll be able to stand for long periods. you just need time to heal. and you'll be just as mobile once this happens.

my doctor said right away that i needed surgery and i was 14 and a half then, so it all depends on what your doctor wants.

once agian, if you want to talk just let me know.

<3 lindsay

Comment

Working...
                    X