Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VATS - Video-assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery - tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATS - Video-assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery - tried this?

Has anyone tried VATS - video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery? What was the outcome? What was the recovery period? Who was the doctor? Were you happy with your decision to go this route after surgery?

Found an article describing the procedure in 11/19/2001 Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio) describing it performed at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital. It requires "three small incisions between ribs, through which doctors insert tubes equipped with a video camera, a light, and a cutting tool."

Hi....

VATS surgery is not appropriate for every patient. And, even if it might be appropriate, the technique is still relatively new, and many doctors do not have experience with it. If it's something of interest, you should seek out a surgeon who specializes in the technique. And, be sure you understand that there is an increased risk in choosing a technique that has not been performed and studied for long.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you, Linda, for the help.

What are the risks?

..and yes, experimental treatment doesn't provide the certainty that tried and true procedures have.

mark's mom

Comment

Hi...

My point is that the risks are an unknown. With traditional scoliosis surgery (open anterior and posterior), the risks are fairly well known. With VATS, there could be long-term problems that are yet unknown. You may want to check out this website:

http://www.scoliosisrx.com/

Ron Blackman was one of the pioneers of this type of treatment, and eventually stopped performing the surgery because of problems with the technique. His opinion is based on just his own cases, however, and other surgeons have reported much better outcomes. I'm really only mentioning all of this so you're sure you understand the risks and be willing to accept them if you decide on this (or any) type of surgery.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i think someone i know on another forum has just had this technique for the anterior stage of his surgery (though i didn't know the name for the technique)

he's 36 and has had anterior and posterior fusion to correct kyphosis and scoliosis, and he also has scheuermanns (don't know if i spelled that correctly ) he describes his anterior surgery as having several bullet holes/puncture wounds down his side, so it sounds like the same thing. he's achieved great correction and is now back at home (his surgery was i think three weeks ago yesterday) but linda's right in that not all techniques are suitable for every patient, and not every doctor uses this technique. i know you want to be prepared and do your research but i really think it's best to find out more of the basics about your son's situation and then figure out what treatment may be suitable for him
          diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
          braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
          fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
          Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
          scoliosis support forum

Comment

Thank you Marmyte and Linda...you're the best.

Comment

Working...
            X