Curve progression while in brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curve progression while in brace?

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed last December, with a 37 degree thoracic curve and a 33 degree lumbar curve. She went straight into a TLSO brace for 23 hours a day. Although she had been very conscientious about wearing the brace, at her checkup last week, her curves had progressed to 41 and 36. We thought this would mean certain surgery, but her doctor says her curve might just be "declaring itself", and progression could still slow or stop. She's to continue 23 hours/day and be x-rayed again in May. We're trying to figure out what our odds are. Has anyone here ever experienced a curve that progressed to this severity in the brace, and then stopped, or is it likely to be pretty much continuous from here?

Thanks - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Hello

Hi my name is Hannah and i am 13 with scoliosis. When i first found out i had scoliosis my curve was 35 top and 20 bottom. After the first 4 months of wearing the brace it went to a 30 top and a 18 bottom. After the next 4 months it started to get alittle worse. And now after 2 years of wearing the brace my curve is 36 top and 30 bottom. So my doctor told me that is very likely to happen because the curve usually slowly drifts back to where it started from. But i just got a new brace and it has ALOT of padding. I sometimes get back aches. But at least i know it is helping me and thats all that matters. Its really difficult but not everything u want comes easy. And thats something i have learned to accept over the past 3 years. Ur daughter should be proud of herself. Not very many people have to go through what we do. So keep strong. I hope her curve goes down so she doesnt have to get surgery. I am always here for her if she ever wants to talk to someone her age. I am going through everything she is. And any of u reading this i am here for u too. SO u can e-mail me at cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com Good luck to u!

-Hannah 13 IN

Comment

Thanks for that, Hannah.

One of the things that makes this all so difficult is the unpredicatbility of it -- we're not even completely sure what she should be preparing ourselves for! It sounds as though you have been handling that situation gracefully for some time.

Cheers - Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

hi!
        my curve started out at about 25 degrees and I got a charleston brace - worn only at night, it curves you while you sleep. but then my curve slipped and I had to get a Boston and wear it for 23 hours/day. after the Boston, it pretty much stayed around the same - 20-25 or so top and bottom. my older sister had a boston and wore it faithfully for 23 hours/day for 6 years, but then when she was slowly taking it off for longer and longer, her curve slipped and she needed the surgery.
        you really don't know what's going to happen. and there's no way to tell. it's difficult, but after a while, you come to accept it.
        good luck to your daughter!

AZ

Comment

Patricia,
          I had curve progression while wearing the brace. I had an s curve and the lower curve was corrected by the brace however the upper which was closer to my shoulder blades was getting worse. I don't want to upset you but I wore a brace for 4 years and then had surgery because my curve got worse. Better news for you might be though that between checkups the rate at which the curve progressed changed dramatically. Some months is might stay the same others it may have increased 7-10 degrees. So....they won't do surgery until the curve is over a certian # of degrees....maybe it increased this month and won't increase any further?
          I hope so!! I'm happy to share anything you want to know. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X