How long does evaluation take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does evaluation take?

How long does the evaluation process take with first visit to the doctor? What subsequent measures are required for them to arrive at an assessment (a plan of action and timeline).

We are Americans living overseas and the top Orthopedic Surgeon here says he can't help us, that we should seek evaluation in the U.S. Thus, we are planning to fly to the U.S. next week for doctor assessments. How much time should we allow? Am assuming one day is sufficient for observation and xrays. Is there more?

Thank you.

mark's mom

for an initial consultation to assess the patient and take xrays one appointment should be enough, and a doctor will then suggest a treatment plan. depending on the details of the patient's condition and what the doctor says you may want to seek a second opinion...you don't say where you are living at the moment?
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

also, just out of curiosity, where are you going and who are you seeing? If you are going to seek treatment in a specific area, I'm sure someone could pass on the name of a doc that they've had a good experience with, should you want to seek another opinion after this one. Good luck to you -

Renee

Comment

Hi Mark's mom,

There are many variables involved. If Mark has a typical adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, an appointment won't take long at all. If Mark is younger than teenage age, has congenital scoliosis and/or other medical issues that complicate scoliosis treatment, an appointment with a GOOD ped. ortho will take time (however not more than a day, IMHO).

My suggestion, especially since you are traveling overseas, is to contact the ortho's office AHEAD of your trip and REMIND them you are coming from WAY out of town. Let them know you want/need to get as much accomplished in one visit. If Mark is very young, ask the ortho's office if an MRI would be useful (if he hasn't had one already). Like I said, so many factors and variables are involved.

Feel free to email me (boulderfam@hotmail.com) if you have any specific questions. We traveled out of state (but in the states) for our Braydon's care. It is do-able.

My best,
        Carmell
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you for your helpful and thoughtful insights. Mark is 14-years old, was diagnosed with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis, a lateral deviation (Scoliosis) of the Dorsal spine to the right between D3 to D12 vertebra with rotation of the intermediate vertebra, and we live in the Middle East, in the small country of Oman.

We have an appointment with two prominent hospitals in the East and Midwest. Still waiting to confirm an appointment with the latter. Flight plans in place will be contingent upon hearing back from the latter. It's a really long way to go for just one opinion, albeit from an outstanding institution.

Otherwise, will have to postpone trip until we can secure both opinions.

What is the cost of waiting? another month? until Christmas? the new year? Mark is growing quite rapidly right now.

This is all new to us and we are barely over the shock of it all.

Comment

had you not considered coming here to the UK instead? although you'd still have to pay (as you do in the states), the best hospital in the country isn't a million miles from heathrow and they're on top of their game
            diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
            scoliosis support forum

Comment

Marks Mom,

In your last post, you asked what's the cost of waiting? I don't know what your son's curve measurement is, but if he is going through a rapid growth spurt you don't want to wait TOO long because the curve can progress rapidly along with the growth. At least that has been my experience with my 14 y.o. son. Hope your appts. work out, but if not, try to reschedule within the next month or two. If your son's curve needs immediate attention, maybe a note or call from your current ortho surgeon could help speed things up(?). Good luck & best wishes to you -

Renee

Comment

Patients with AIS (Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis) typically have a risk of progression the year before and the year after a major growth spurt. Each patient goes through their adolescent spurt at different times. If Mark is still growing, and if his curve is moderate-severe, the chances of it progressing are higher that he'll have a worse curve. Scoliosis is rarely an emergency situation. Unless there is an extremely severe thoracic curve and/or any other medical issues that would complicate a scoliosis treatment, you have time to get your ducks in a row. You have time to make the appointments necessary to give him the best outcome possible. Again, this is only my opinion, not medical information.

Good luck and let us know how things are progressing.
                Carmell
                mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

In holding pattern as the Midwestern facility prefers twelve business days for evaluation and assessment in addition to their current requests in the queue. Have postponed travel plans until we can secure second appointment.

Have selected facilities in the U.S. because critical to Mark's care is moral support from extended family members, which will be easier for them if we are State-side. But thanks 'Marmyte' for the heads-up for facillities in the U.K. Yes, it's a 9-hour flight from here, including requisite stopover in UAE or Saudi.

Point well taken Renee, that a higher probability of a dramatic curve change exists during a growth spurt, and Carmell, as well, that we have a little bit of time, but not a lot, to order our approach to his situation.

Continued thanks for your wisdom and insights.

mark's mom

Comment

i had a feeling that would be your answer, but if you do change your mind, i'd be more than happy to give you additional advice
                    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Working...
                    X