Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milwaukee braces

hi all

I just come home now from my back check, and my doc told my that i will go into "milwaukee braces" asap to help my Kyphosis. It is about 65 degree curvature .
    he ask my to get mold on Wednesday and then in two weeks get the braces.
    is any of you can tell me more about how they do the mold? how is to be in that braces ect.

any help pls

Milwaukee Brace!

I wore one for 7 yrs. at age 13. I'm now 50. I wore it continuously for 4 yrs. and only at night the last 3. They must have made improvements on it since then. It was very obtrusive and cumbersome! It was that or surgery so I cooperated!!! They molded my entire torso with white cast material. After it dried, they took it off careful by making a long vertical cut along the back. I wore it till I stopped growing and it did the job. However,..... I just found out last week that my lumbar curve has since progressed to 53 degrees and that I will probably have surgery in the near future. This doesn't always happen. I was SHOCKED! I not sorry, though, as they have made great improvements on the surgery in the last 30 years. I live in Florida now. I lived in Chicago at the time. I wish you well, Mary Ann

Comment

soon

i have to get a milwakee brace soon. I just got molded 4 1.it was on tues.
      needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

I wore the milwalkee brace for 5 years (9-14). I can answer any questions you might have about it. I wore it all the time. I was allowed to have it off one hour a day. I wore the brace to stop my curves from getting worse. It did keep them from getting worse until I got the brace off. Once it was off my curves progressed rapidly and I ended up having to have the surgery anyway. This doesn't happen to everyone though. The brace typically is worn to avoid the surgery which has been greatly improved since I was 9. I got the brace on when I was 9, off at 14, had the sugery at 17 (in 1989) and I am 34 now. I have just started experiencing back pain again and have an appointment in December.
        Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

hi mocity!

i do have questions about the brace. if you have anything that i might need to know about them, would you give me a holla?I am 11 and i haven't gotten my brace but what is it like to have one? the milwakee one? anything i might need to know that might shock me or anything elese, please tell me. i'm dying to know aboutr it since i dont have it yet.
          Thanx, billie
          11 yrs. old

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

Hi there.............I can help with any questions you may have. Keep in mind we all have different experiences with them. No doubt at first it will be uncomfortable and stuff but I promise with time you get used to wearing it and sleeping in it. It just takes some time to get use to. Also, I worried sooo much about people seeing it. My advice is to not worry about it so much. Your friends wont care that you are wearing a brace and might even think its cool. :-) One suggestion is to wear a sleeve-less undershirt under it. This helped to keep it from sticking to my skin or making me hot. Anyway, when do you get it on? Give it time..... you will get use to it.
            Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Also, I read about this website in another post... this is what the poster said

"Second, wander over to www.spinekids.com. Large group of very cool teenage scoli girls there who talk all the time about things like clothes, teasing, social life, etc. while in the brace."

I went and looked at http://www.spinekids.com/ and it looks like it has some good information for you!

Comment

thanx so much!

i appriciate your help sooo much! u don't even know! i hope we can keep in touch!see ya later !

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

Dear people who will use Milk. brace:
                  I worn a brace from 13 years old to 16, and so does my sister. Hers was made of leather and mine was made of plastic. Consequently I have two horrible scars at the end of the waist. So try to make it of leather, my sister hasnīt got any scar.
                  By the way, use the brace, I didnīt and I became worst, so I had my surgery 3 years ago. But Iīm happy now.
                  Bye

Comment

Working...
                  X