Jackets???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackets???

Hi, just been to the doctors where she confirmed i had scoliosis and referred me to an orthopaedic. She said that i might need to wear a jacket, is this the same as a brace?, I'm sooooo worried, i really don't want to. I thought that it was quite mild and wouldn't need anything done to it, but she seemed pretty concerned and wanted me to get an x-ray done immediatley.

argh!!so worried, i feel stupid because i have only just taken the symptons seriously recently, I'm 16 and wish i had done something about it sooner because it has probably got worse.

Are there any other people here that are my age that have to wear these?

Hi and Welcome to the board,

Yes, a body jacket is most likely the same thing as a brace, just different terminology. When my son had fusion surgery, the orthopedist told us that he would be in a body jacket for an indefinite period of time after the surgery for support. The jacket was a brace - interchangeable words.

I would wait until you see the orthopedist before you start to panic about wearing a brace. If you are already 16, then you are more likely to be fully grown, skeletally mature. A brace may be a non-issue... once a person reaches skeletal maturity, the chances of a scoliosis getting worse decreases. Also, you need to know how severe the scoliosis is... and if the scoliosis is caused by congenital problems (bone malformation).

Good luck and let us know when you have an appt to see the ortho.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

same thing happend to me, I was dignosed when i was 11, and i was just supposed to keep comming back to see if it got worse to the point where they were going to have to brace me, and i decided i wasn't going to wear a brace, so i didn't go for years, now I'm 16 and am getting a brace because I was so stupid when i was younger, I went from 15° to 35° which sucks
      ♥SARAH♥

Comment

TO:SARAH

hey me too i also didn't make much out of it and said im not gonna wear a brace. then when i got one my curve hadprogressed to 34 degrees!
        now w/ my brace on it is only like11 and ur back is considered normal 10 and down!
        so i suggest to wear ur brace even if you don't like it!
        bye
        rebecca
        ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
        I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
        I went through 3 Boston Braces
        Original curve~34*
        Curve in 1st Brace~9*
        Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
        Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
        Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

And another thing, braces don't cure the curve do they??I thought they just stopped it gettin worse which sucks big time if the only way it can b fixed is if u hav surgery. I hate it soooo much, i have my first appointment with my orthapedic on Monday and I'm hoping that the degree of it is going to be really small, but then again if wearin a brace will mean it will fix it then i would wear it. Did ne1 else know that sarah michelle gellar had it??i find that really reassuring.

I think the most noticable part about it is my shoulder blades and the top of my ribcage because it's just not symetrical, it's annoyin cos i didn't mind my figure before i found out i got it and now i just feel really abnormal and paranoid bout it, it's one more thing 2 worry bout when u 1st sleep with ur boyf lol.I used 2 think i was just developing unevenly with one side havin more fat on the other- i know that sounds ridiculous but i'd never even heard of scoliosis until i looked up the symptons on here and i had all the symptons grrrr, i was really annoyed @ my dad when i 1st found out cos it's genetic but mine seems 2 b worse than his.I do tend 2 slump and hav a bad posture would this make it worse?

Comment

i know exactly what you mean. Umm the curv doesn't get better from the brace, the brace just keeps it from getting worse. I feel the same way about the way u look thing. like I never even noticed that i had like 1 hip not two, or that my rib cage like yours was not the same, until my mom and my sister were walking behind me and were talking about it, like ever since I have been so self concious! It sucks!
            ♥SARAH♥

Comment

Wear jackets it is good for you

a body jacket is most likely the same thing as a brace, just different terminology, if you need jackets you can order online after visit http://www.awardletters.com. Comfortable and according to your need jackets you can get.
              Award Letters

Comment

Working...
              X