Backpacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacks

My daughter has I.S. and her last curve measurement was 21 degrees. The MD feels she will need a brace soon. She is 14 with a risor of 1. She has been carrying her binder (which weighs 10 lbs.) and her lunchbag in a backpack on wheels. She is being made fun of because she has a wheeled backpack in high school. She wants a regular backpack, but in the past she has had back pain from carrying it on her back. She has a second set of books, but due to the fact that the school is the size of JFK airport, the kids do not have enough time to go to their lockers. Can anyone recommend a better backpack that is worn on the back?

I splurged and got my son a good quality "backpackers" backpack. The straps were padded & adjustable. It could also fasten around the waist. It doesn't totally take away the ache/soreness of carrying around a backpack all day, but it did help to minimize it somewhat. Since she already has a 2nd set of books, could she make an arrangement with her teachers to keep the book in class so she doesn't need to keep making trips to her locker?? Just a suggestion.....

Renee

Comment

Ditto to what Renee suggested

Just a couple more suggestions

---> Could your daughter perhaps "play around with" how she organises her file. Maybe perhaps to change to carrying a notebook for each subject and a manila folder to keep handouts etc in

--> Regularly cleaning out her files (if she doesn't already) might also be a way to go. Every month or so, cleaning out her file, and filing that month's work into a file that is kept at home

--> Does she go to her locker during lunchtime.........that'd be a good time of the day to switch before lunch books with books required after lunch

In high school, we weren't allowed to carry around backpacks unless we were on crutches or used a wheelchair; and we were only able to go to our lockers at lunchtime. I got around this by keeping textbooks I didn't need to take home often (or had two of) in the particular classroom in the teacher's desk/cupboard. For each subject I had a notebook, and if required a manila folder to hold handouts in.

Alison

Comment

I agree with everything said so far, so I'll just tell you what I did with my daughter when she was wearing a brace and then after her surgery.

When she was in a brace we had a set of books at home and one in each classroom because the type of brace she wore there was no way for her to put her backpack over her shoulders. We did the same thing after surgery, because she was only allowed to carry 5-10 pounds. After surgery, we bought an expandable type file folder instead of a binder. In some classes, she was required to have a binder to use as a notebook, so we asked if that could be kept in that classroom or go to her locker on the day they would be checking the notebook for a grade.

Just one last thought....our school district doesn't allow kids to carry backpacks during the day in Elementary and Middle School, but they are allowed to carry them in High School. Go figure!

Mary Lou

Comment

Our middle and high schoolers HAVE to carry around ALL their books, binders, lunch, waters, etc. in their backpacks ALL DAY because they don't allow lockers (except PE) in our schools

Renee

Comment

yeah our school district doesn't allow back packs in elementary or middle school but it's okay in high school! I had a problem w/ that too bc i go to a humongous school with 3,000 people in it. So I keep one set of books in the rooms and one at home. It works fine! I try to wait to return my 2nd book back to where the teacher wants me to keep it while everyone's talking and being loud...no one even notices lol
            ~Leelee ♪
            [-] 17 years old
            _[-] 12th grade
            [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
            _[-] kyphosis, 67*
            [-] Boston brace for 4 years
            _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Flower Power

HI my name is billie i am a girl from kentucky do u have tips on a brace to be girl?
              needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

hi

who r u? i am from kentucky and need tips bad on bracing. got any? i need a brace very soon.

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

bgheiz01,

My I suggest that you 1) do a search to find information about wearing a brace or 2) start a new thread instead of posting everywhere. I think you'd get more information that way.

Mary Lou

Comment

thanx mary lou!

i will do that thank you!

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

I'm in college and so many people use the backpacks with wheels. I don't, but I did have to buy a different backpack. I used to have a messenger bag (bad idea!). I ended up buying this backpack, http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-SWISS...QQcmdZViewItem

at TJ Maxx for $22. It's great. The shoulders and back panel have a lot of padding. My back hurts slightly, but not even close to as much as it did with the messenger bag.

Good luck!
                      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                      2003- 33 degrees
                      2005- 37 degrees
                      2006- 44 degrees
                      May 2007- 47 degrees
                      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                      Fused T1 to L2
                      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

My daughter is post-surgery and has a 504 plan. The school is required to provide a second set of books for her which she keeps at home. There is always another book in each classroom which she uses while she is there. There is not time to go to a locker at her school, either, so she just carries a binder around. The teachers who "require" other things, like a separate notebook or folder have been told she has the 504 plan and therefore will not be bringing an extra item. She has Old Testament Bible class as one of her classes. The teacher has the other students bring their bible to class each day and take it home. We bought a bible specifically to leave in her classroom so the teacher couldn't complain about her not having it there. That was the only book we bought extra. Before surgery, she used a backpack on wheels, just for the last few months before surgery when her back was bothering her more. We got a doctor's release requiring the rolling bookbag then, just as we have the 504 plan requiring the extra set of books to study at home now. Kris

Comment

i'm a sophomore in high school, and i have two sets of books as well, but i have the book kept in the class that the book is for. i don't know why she gets teased for having a rolling backpack... some people are just inconsiderate i guess. since my school is also 'the size of JFK airport' as you put it, i have all of my classes clustered, so i work my way from one end of the school to the other throughout the day. try talking with your daughter's guidance counselor to make arrangements for your daughter at school.
                          hope i helped
                          Marlana
                          16, Senior
                          Spina Bifida
                          Boston Brace for 2 years
                          Spinal Fusion July 25, 2002
                          Post-Op Brace for 6 months

Comment

hope i get treatment like you when i get my brace!

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

Working...
                            X