hospital beds vs "old familiar"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hospital beds vs "old familiar"

Hello, everyone. It is now time (probably past time) for us to think about whether we should rent a hospital bed for when I get home from the hospital...or not. I need advice from all who have been through what I will be going through in the next 3 weeks. Linda

Re:hospital Bed

I Had Surgery 16 Years Ago And No I Personally Did Not Have A Hospital Bed. With The Brace And All It Was Difficult To Get In And Out Of Any Bed. I Kind Of Had To Roll. The Couch Was The Best Place For Me To Easily Get Up.

Comment

Ok, I have to admit.. the hospital bed was awesome! It was incredibly comfortable (well, as comfortable as anything could be under the circumstances), and those little buttons made everything sooo much easier. I'd find myself finding excuses to push the 'up' and 'down' buttons... Now that being said, I felt no need to rent a hospital bed when I went home. I've been home for two weeks now, and I find that I'm able to get in and out of bed without a problem. I have to say though, that all of this would/should probably depend on what kind of procedure you're getting done... You should probably speak to your doctor... if he thinks you might need one, you probably would... sorry I couldn't help more.
      27 Years Old
      Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
      Post Surgery: 15 degrees
      www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Linda...

If you decide that you want something adjustable, here's an inexpensive alternative:

http://www.contourliving.com/

I have one and find it works as well as the adjustable bed that I purchased before my own surgery, and which was incredibly expensive.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I did not rent a hospital bed when I got home, but did purchase a bed rail at a local medical supply store. I would roll to my side by crossing my right hand over my body and pulling myself onto my left side. I then used the rail to push myself up. I have to say though, that I came to depend on it and it wasn't until I went to PT 4 months later and regained the strength in my lower back and abs, that I was able to do without it.

My husband also bought one of those large foam wedges from a medical supply store, but I just could not use it. I really felt more comfortable lying flat than when I was propped up in the hospital bed.

Comment

I recuperated so much faster and could get out of bed much more easily when I got home, as my bed is hard and lower-wich was helpful for me.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I guess I'm out of the norm - I'm finally saying goodbye to my hosp bed tomorrow. I'm still not sleeping perfectly in the regular bed; but I miss my husband, and the doctor says it's time.

My health insurance paid 100% of it, and I'll have to admit, I've probably been lazy about returning it because I'm not getting the bill

But I spent the first night home from the hospital in tears, awake all night because I couldn't sleep on the flat bed. As soon as it was delivered the next day (2 1/2 hours after I called to ask for it!) I fell sound asleep in the middle of the day.
              Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
              Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
              fusion T5-L3
              Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I have to admit, I still need to make a decision, but it helps to know that opinions vary. All of you have been so helpful! Linda

Comment

I didn't get a hospital bed after my surgery. I actually was happiest on a hide-a-bed. Itty bitty thin matress, foam eggcrate type mattress pad, and, with a sheet of plywood underneath it all. I found I was most comfortable on a really firm surface, and it also made it easier to get up out of bed- didn't have to struggle to sit up as much. I made a sort of ramp/incline out of pillows which worked fine for me when I didn't want to lay flat.
                  Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                  Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                  Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                  Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                  February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                  September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

i slept in a recliner most of the day..spent a lot of time there too!! i did sleep in my bed, but my mom really helped me ( turned me every 3-4 hours, talk about devotion) and if i couldnt sleep there iwent to the recliner.
                    8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

The recliner was great for watching TV, and reading. At first it helped me even more than the bed, since it's not flat and that first position is not all the way straight either, good combo.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                      X