How long till I can ride horses again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long till I can ride horses again

Hey! New to the board...had a spinal fusion conducted back in November...and it's now been almost 3 months. I can't believe it! I didn't even know I had scoliosis until last May, and during the summer, I gave the self-donations of blood, lots of x-rays, etc., had my curves go from 54-64 degrees in a matter of 3 months, and had a lumbar laminectomy (had a tethered spinal cord) surgery in Sept. before the fusion in Nov. I know my restrictions, etc...this surgery has definitely impacted my life in positive and negative ways, and it's hard to believe I did it, but I guess right now I'm in the "halfway marking range"--3 more months to go till the 6 month mark, when some spines can be completely fused. Hopefully mine can. I'm an active person, and having this surgery has limited a lot of my activities, #1 being showing horses. I barrel race horses almost every weekend, have been to world championships, it's a big deal for my family and I, and I know I must wait at least 6 months before I can even sit on a horse again, but I was just wondering if any of ya'll ride horses, or show competitively, and how long you had to wait for everything. Hopefully some of you can help me out here! Have a great day...
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
    "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Hey I'm not much help. I ride horses every now and then. I had surgery august 01. I was back riding them gently on trails and everything that spring. I go and ride every now and then on my cousins horses. I can ride them as fast as I want. I dont ride professionally or barrel ride. But I'd say you could probably start getting used to it about the 9 month mark and on. It hurts to ride at first but as your body gets used to it. You never feel it. YOu'll get back to it soon enough just let your body tell you when your ready. You want to start running first. Running is harder then riding but it strengthens your back for riding. Well thats my comment. cya, -Ali

Comment

Working...
    X