Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this true for anyone with scoliosis...or just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true for anyone with scoliosis...or just me?

I just discovered that the curve of my spine is different when lying down than when sitting or standing under load. Is this true for just me or for everyone with scoliosis. Two x-rays were taken 7 days apart...when lying flat on an x-ray table I have a 20 degree lumbar curve, and when x-rayed standing or sitting down I have a 32 degree thoracalumbar curve.

Prior to taking these x-rays I thought my curve had grown from 20 to 32 degrees, when in fact the real difference is the change in my curve under load. As an adult with scoliosis and degenerative disc at L5-S1 and I'm assuming this change under load is not good. I now understand why I have such pain coming from the convex side of the curve, its under a lot of pressure.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Tall Paul

Paul...

Scoliosis xrays should never be taken in the prone position because our curves flatten out in that position.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Paul... interesting about the X-rays.

Do you have a lot of pain from the L5-S1 disk? If so, how to you manage it?

Thanks!
      Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi Laura,

The degenerative L5-S1 pinches the formainal nerves leading to my left foot. I've tried everything...with the best results coming from injections, stretching and back stabilzation exercises. I would go in for surgery to repair the bad disc, but the 30 degree curve above complicates the surgery. Instead of just fixing the one disc, they claim they need to fuse from S1 to t? from both the front and the back. I think I will need to have surgery soon, so I'm beginning to search for the right doctor.

Thanks for asking

Paul

Comment

Working...
        X