My daughters x-rays before and after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughters x-rays before and after

Hi, My daughters both had surgery in July. They are both doing great. Everything is back to normal except that the older one cannot drive yet and they both can't do any exercise. I am amazed at how fast they recovered. As you can see on the x-rays that one daughter had a better result. The other one had 2 curves and a rotation. The good news with her is that her curve will not worsen. The doctor left her curve that way so that she would be in alignment. He also said that the bottom curve might straighten out on it's own now. I hope he's right. The good news is that she will be able to resume her rigorous sports. (track and soccer) next spring.

Barbara

P.S I hope the xray attachments work. If not I'll try again

Hi Barbara...

Congratulations on getting both of your daughters through this experience!

Has your daughters' doctor said anything about the x-ray method s/he uses? The x-rays show an unusually high level of contrast, so I'd be a little worried about the amount of radiation. Also, it looks to me like there were no radiation shields used.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
      I think they didn't use x-ray shields because they wanted the whole spine. We have been getting x-rays every 4 months for the past 3 years and believe me, I am very concerned about the amount of radiation they have been exposed to. I always tell the girls to remind the technician about shielding. Believe it or not, the technicians don't do it on their own.
      As far as the contrast. I used a very low resolution to get these to fit on the forum. Maybe that's the contrast you are seeing. I 'm not really sure.

Barbara

Comment

Hi Barbara...

The resolution is way beyond almost anything I've seen, and I've seen thousands of full spine x-rays. Also, it's possible to get full spine x-rays and still use breast and gonad shields.

Hopefully, your daughters won't need a lot more spine x-rays in their lives, but if I were you, I'd be sure to insist that shields are used in the future.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,

What are x-ray shields and where are they placed? Is it something you put on or something that is put in front/behind you when they take the x-rays. I have never heard of shields...I hope they have been used on me in the past.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

Lead shields can either be placed on the x-ray equipment, or on the patient. They protect the breast and reproductive areas.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Barbara,

Glad to here things are progressing well with your daughters. I still can't imagine having to go through this with two daughters at once! Thanks so much for posting the X-Rays as they are very helpful to other parents/patients.

Wish you the best,

Jane
              Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
              Daughter 15 years old
              Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
              Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
              After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

RE: Scoliosis surgery.

I am amazed to see that one of your daughters curves became so straight. My curve is an "S" cuve like your other daughterand was going toward my heart. I wore the brace from 12 to 17, then had surgery. I was told I would be out 9-12 months at the time, but healed in 6. My, they must have learned a lot about the ways ot do surgery. Tell your daughters I will pray for them since I know exactly how they feel.

Comment

Question for BarbaraJ

Dear Barbara: Thanks for sharing those xrays. Amazing! Can you please tell me the degrees of your daughters' curves before & after their surgeries? Thank you ! Martha
                  Martha
                  Mother of Laura, Age 19
                  Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                  Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                  Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                  Fused T2-L2
                  Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                  Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                  Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                  OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Martha,

One daughter was a 60 thorasic and 44 lumbar. I think she is in the 30's right now. The other one was a 57 and I think she is in the 20's. THey just had their 8 month check up and are doing great. My one daughter is going to be starting track on Monday. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Barbara

Comment

hi

thanks for your post! i love this site. can you guide me to where images of your daughters before and after x-rays are on this site? i was trying to read where to find it and i could not. thanks so much!

jann
                      "It's what you value, not what you have that makes you rich."

Comment

Jann,
                        The very first post of this thread has my daughter's x-rays on them.

Barbara

Comment

Jann....

Just click where it shows:
                          EandA x-rays2.jpg

in the first post.

--Linda

Comment

i saw the x-rays!

thanks people! i just saw the xrays. as you know, it is very hard to deal with and i actually wish it were me going in for the surgery and not her. i guess that is somewhat natural. she is in a lot of pain and i have now narrowed my search of great doctors to two: dr. ondra and dr. jaglan in chicago and surrounding areas. both hospitals are good and it seems like both are very good. i spoke to one mother of a young patient of jaglan's and she said he was excellent. she gave me some great tips too for before, during and after the surgery. my only concern now is that people are telling me to have her do the surgery in december, not the summer. the surgery i am told is far from fun and december would be right before her winter break. this way, at most, she would miss 2-3 weeks of school and a tutor would be provided for whatever she misses. what are your thoughts on this?
                            please email me direct at: steveceleste@sbcglobal.net

if anyone wants to send me or email me any information they think i would benefit from, please email me direct anytime. i welcome it.

jann
                            "It's what you value, not what you have that makes you rich."

Comment

Working...
                            X