Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscles I Never Knew I Had!

Hi all,
    well, just back from the physio - went for a visit after a solid week of having shoulders like bricks and accompanying headaches.
    I was expecting her to massage everything out from the back of my shoulders and neck. Instead, she went for the muscles that run down the side of your neck and into the front of your shoulder blades (which I think are the sternocleidomastoids or SCMs)... and I went through the roof!
    Seems to have removed a lot of the stiffness and soreness, but the poor muscles are wondering what hit them now - I've certainly never had anyone massage them before, let alone my physio.
    My back is now pretty good thanks to the PT we've been doing, but now that most my pain is up in the shoulders and the neck, it looks like these guys are going to be an issue for me. But my physio didn't recommend anything in addition (e.g. new stretches and the like).
    Does anyone else have problems with these? And what do you do for them?

I'll just crawl off somewhere and recover now... boy...

Ta,
    Martin Hughes

PT exercises, massages(that you can do to yourself as well), acupuncture and icing helps.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
    X