yoga vs pilates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yoga vs pilates

My daughter was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with 17 degree thoracic and 30 degree lumber. She is wearing a boston brace 23/7. Has anyone tried yoga or pilates? Physical therapy and massage therapy are not suppose to be effective. Any type of Exercise to help?

I have heard from others that pilates is good for strengthening the core muscles that support back and abdomin (did I spell that correctly?) I just bought a pilates DVD for beginners that I've yet to pop into the DVD player. I have a "Yoga for Scoliosis" DVD that I do when I have time and I have found it helps me with flexibility and eases the back pain a little.

Renee

Comment

Himom,
      I'm currently doing a pilates-based physical therapy program. I have congenital kyphosis, giving me a scoliosis of 21* and a kyphosis of 43* - just under surgery range, but enough to leave my muscles horribly unbalanced and causing all sorts of pain.
      After about nine months of hard work, pilates has given me results. My lower and middle back are now much stronger, and pretty much pain free. We're just working on my shoulder and neck muscles now, which are shot to bits, but should be OK in the end.
      It sure won't get rid of the curves, but it certainly has helped me with the pain stakes. I'd just be sure to go to a physical therapist who knows what they are doing - I imagine doing the wrong stretches would only make things worse in the long run.

Ta,
      Martin Hughes

Comment

I wore a Boston brace when I was that age too... I have done pilates and yoga for many years, and think pilates is hands down what works best for me. (Now if I can just find the time and motivation to keep at it.)
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know just what you mean..............

Comment

I had my surgery 10 years ago, Im 23yrs old, I have tried Yoga and Pilates just to get fit and toned, but I found them difficult as I cant lie on a hard of solid flat surface because of the hump on my back! At yoga I found it difficult to bend certain ways and and few other movements

Comment

pilates with hump

My Pilates instructor(before my revision 3 years ago) padded my back so the I was in proper alignment while doing floor exercises. She put a small pillow under my "dent" which really helped. Now I use a little cushion in my lumbar area where I am fused.
              This is the difference between trying Pilates on your own -not a good idea- and having a certified instructor. Gyms who 'do Pilates' may not have the proper training.
              Karen
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
              X