Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and spondololythesis link?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has heard or knows of any information linking scoliosis and spondololythesis. If so any information would be much appreciatted.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul...

I've never heard that there is an increased incidence of spondylolisthesis in patients with scoliosis, however people with scoliosis certainly can have it. You can do your own search on the subject here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the link, I will trawl through and see what I can find.

My interest is I've suffered and had surgery for both conditions and I'm trying to reverse engineer my life too see if any link exsists between them and possibly if one condition caused the other.

Chicken and egg spring to mind!

Regards,

Paul.

Comment

Paul,

My 14 y.o. daughter has both, but I'm not sure if there is any connection. We never knew about the Spondylolisthesis until they started doing x-rays for her Scoliosis.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

Thanks for the response, I like your daughter was diagnosed with both conditions at the age of 14 but it was the Spondylolisthesis that was my reason for visiting the Doctor at the time, the scoliosis just reared it's ugly head during the initial consultations.
          I had an L4-S1 fusion for the Spondylolisthesis at the age of 15 (1982) and it was not until I was 24 (1991) that I had 2 stage surgery for the scoliosis using such "trailing edge" technology as Harrington rods etc.

Cheers,

Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul,

I, too, have often wondered about this. Although diagnosed just before my 13th birthday , my first scoliosis surgery was at age 46. I'm 70 now. After the first surgery, I was told I also had spondylolisthesis and that a problem may develop which would require more surgery. After several years, I did begin to have a lot of pain, and the diagnosis by then had progressed to spondylolysis. To date, I have had a total of 5 surgeries related to my scoliosis. The pain is not bad, but my mobility has been severely affected, and at my present age, that is now being compounded by arthritis!

As a child, I had at least 2 bad falls, both of which I can still remember! One was the result of foolishly standing on the top of a jungle gym, and the other was a fall from a tree limb. (I guess I was an active young lady!) What I have wondered in recent years is if I might have cracked a vertebra during a childhood fall, thus causing an imbalanced spine as the crack grew, eventually causing scoliosis. Then, I wonder if the trauma of the first scoliosis surgery, together with the fact that the spondylolisthesis had not yet been observed, actually caused the lysis to take place.

One thing about this "theory" of mine concerns me, though, and that is that most cases of scoliosis are diagnosed at about the same age (13). If some of us developed scoliosis because of spondylolisthesis, one would think that there would be a wider span of years for the diagnosis of idiopathic scoliosis. So, it's still a mystery for me! I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Doris
            Doris

Comment

Working...
            X