How tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tight

How tight are you supposed to make this thing?
    Our daghter has a boston brace and we know it's supposed to be tight but we don't know how much. If we make it really tight she can't even go to school. She's had it for a week. The doctor said that you just make it really tight but that's very vague.

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan Gross; 09-08-2005, 10:39 AM. Reason: Clarify the question

Our brace company who fitted the brace marked Erica's brace straps and showed us (me, who could see her back) how tight to put the straps.

Comment

Originally posted by KRIS ATKINSON
      Our brace company who fitted the brace marked Erica's brace straps and showed us (me, who could see her back) how tight to put the straps.
      same for our daughter, however, we have found that there can be some variety in what she can tolerate, some days we can pull it really, really thight, and other we just get to the line.

Ask your orthotist to indicate what is a reasonable thightness for now, or agree with your daughter what is reasonable for now, so she can get used to it without suffering too much, you can always thighten up as you go along

gerbo

Comment

Hi Nathan,

When I wore a Milwaukee brace back in the 70's, my straps were marked by my doctor. Each visit back to the doctor would result in another tighter mark. So, my doctor totally controlled the increase in tightness.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

The orthodist marked the strap as to how tight it should be. He also stated that my daughter might like it tighter sometimes. My daughter has been in the brace for 3 weeks and there are 3 marks on the straps. If she has eaten a huge meal, the brace is looser, etc.

Comment

I never knew we could adjust the tightness without it decreasing the effectiveness of the brace. The ortho marked Erica's with a pen each time also, and changed the markings according to her growth, etc. I always understood it was important to follow the markings to assure a good fit for the best possible correction. I wish you all the best!

Comment

Working...
            X