surgery and ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery and ?

Hello all. I am 32 and I am having surgery Nov. 3rd. from T4 to L4. I have a double major T-71 degrees and L-62 degrees. I don't really have a lot of pain now. my lower back does get tired really fast. Sitting or standing for 30 minutes or more makes it feel as if I have spend the day bend over and lifting heavy loads. the main reason for my surgery is just progression. My curves generally increased by about 1 degree a year over the last 10 years and they stay fairly even until the last year. 13 months ago it was T-62, L61. So my upper curve increased by 9 degrees in that time. I am okay with the surgery and the risk and such. My main concern or worry is more pain after surgery. Not surgical pain (thats expected) but more everyday back pain after the surgery. Most of my family has some kind of back problem and they just don't understand why I would have this surgery when I am not in very much pain. They have me convinced that I will regret it. Any thoughts?

Piglet

I wouldn't recommend the surgery if a person doesn't have that much pain, unless the curves are over 50 degrees such as in your case since it can be dangerous for your health and as far as pain post op(after the healing), it is different for everybody, but at least you would be more straight, and wouldn't have to worry about the scoliosis. Just a thought, it's a personal decision.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Piglet...

It seems to me that people who don't have pain are often unhappy with their outcomes. You say you don't have much pain, but sitting or standing for more than 30 minutes is difficult. I'm guessing that you do have pain, but, like many of us, have grown used to it. It's often difficult for family and friends to understand, especially if you've been silent about your pain.

Your curves are large enough that they could present significant health risks if they continue to increase at the average of 1-2 degrees per year that is normally seen in large curves.

My only advice would be to be certain that you've chosen the right surgeon. Be sure your surgeon does a significant number of scoliosis surgeries every year. (You want someone who does at least 10-12 a year, but someone who does more like 50+ a year is even better.) If possible, get a second opinion. If you post where you live, you might get recommendations from others in your area.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Piglet,
        I had my surgery in February and had similar fusion length to yours (T2-L4). I too didn't have much pain that I noticed but did have progression over the 10 year period of time like you. My curves also progressed about 1 degree per year and were both at 75 degrees at the time of my surgery. The progression is what really was the deciding factor for me. I'm 30 and if the progression was this bad now, what could it possibly be like in another 10 years? There are no sure answers and it really is a leap of faith in a case like ours, but with the right surgeon and research, you'll make the right decision.

At 7 months post-op (TODAY!!!!!) I'm feeling pretty good. It took me 4 months to stop saying "Am I going to feel like this for the rest of my life?" but after that point and some PT for my lower back, I feel really good! I even swung a golf club a couple of weeks ago...not at full speed, but just to see if I could do it and ended up practiced some chipping for a while! It's a long road, and I can only hope that in 10 years, I look back and say that I did the right thing.
        Last edited by HGD24; 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I live in North Carolina. I have seen a number of doctors and I have chosen Dr. Hey to do my surgery. From what I hear he is good.

and he has patient stories and such on his web site; http://www.lloydhey.com/index.html

Dr. Hey has helped me understand the surgery and many other things. I hope he is as good as I hear.

Comment

Your family probably hates to see you go through such a serious surgery. Nothing is certain in our lives but hopefully you will not have much pain postop. I would go through with it definitely due to the progression.

JudyK.

Comment

Working...
            X