concerned single mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned single mom

I am a single mom of a 3 and 1/2 year old. I noticed before his third birthday check up that his spine did not look straight anymore from about T3 and down. I asked his pediatrician about it and she said we would wait until he was 5 years old to do anything. At this point he has had no x-rays or anything. I know there is the possibility he might grow and it straighten itself out, but I am also concerned about waiting to have it looked at. If anyone has any advice/opinions on this subject please respond.

I am looking into trying to get him into the Shriner's Hospital in Tampa FL because I heard those are the best hospitals for pediatric orthopedics. Has anyone ever gone there? If so what was your experience like?

Thanks for the info

Hi. I don't want to scare you, but go with your instincts and get a second opinion. My daughter is 12 and I know how quickly her back progressed in just two months from diagnosis to getting an appointment with a pediatric orthopidist. I'm not real fimiliar with Scoliosis at your son's age but you can never go wrong with second, or even third or fourth opinions. As for the Shriners' Hospital, I also hear they have excellent doctors, plus, they charge nothing for the child's care. I also heard atleast in Pennsylvania, that they will provide you with transportation to get to and from doctor appointments. Check out the Shriner's web site. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Zachary's mom,

I also encourage you to get an opinion from a Pediatric Orthopedist who specializes in spine malformations. Do you live in Florida? I don't know of the names of any off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure there are some orthos in FL who know how to help you.

Scoliosis in young children is not common. The ortho will want to rule out the cause for the curve in the spine. If he is overall healthy and has no other problem that would play a part in his spine issues, then the statistics are in his favor that he'll do well. He does need regular checkups to monitor the spine and watch for any changes. Usually orthos like to see these patients every 6 months or so.

Shriners is a great facility. I would hope you could get at least two opinions from ped. orthos. about Zachary's back. You will want to make sure YOU know what to expect.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you for your opinions! They mean a lot to me to hear. I am currently going through the process to see if Shriner's will take him. I will let you know the prognosses if we get accepted.

Comment

Working...
        X