I'm Proud Of My Scoliosis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Proud Of My Scoliosis!

I'm 12 years old and I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11. I'm proud of my scoliosis! I have it and theres nothing i can do to change that so i might as well be proud! lol can we do penpals here??? in spinekids u cant, can u here?????

what is scoliosis

Comment

Nico

this whole site is about scoliosis! how could you not know what it is?

Comment

SuzyJay-
        Hey! Its really cool to see that your proud of your scoliosis because its a burden for many people. Is your scoliosis really severe or is it just not that bad? I kind of feel the same way that you do, if you have to live with it, you might as well put a happy aspect to it. I have two huge scars on my back from my three surgeries and my mom tends to want me to cover them up but I don't care about them because its something that i've been through and its never going to change. Its a part of me and I don't care what other people think. Keep up the awesome attitude towards it!

-Abby
        18 year old female
        scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
        corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
        After second surgery, fusion was a success.
        Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
        Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Abbyjo_21

My scoliosis isnt that bad. thanks for commenting!

Comment

I wish i could have ur positive attitude about it, but really don't. I hate my scoliosis and everything about it. The fact that I look completely deformed and the it makes me have to worry about what to wear and it makes me feel self concious. And the constant pain even from just doing the simplest of things, like washing the dishes can bring on pain, or bending over the table doing work for too long and the way in which it takes a long time just to get comfortable in bed. Help! how can i have ur positive additude???

Comment

Rincotato

the best thing to do is to realize that theres no way your scoliosis will ever be gone, no matter how many braces get put on you and how many surgeries you get there will always be apart of scoliosis in you, so u have to stop wishing it was gone and just be proud, you dont want to be unproud of who you are do you? i dont so thats why im proud!

Comment

I understand what ur saying and it's not that I don't want ot be proud but i can't help the way I feel. How noticeable is ur back? if you don't mind me asking. I can't help feeling self consious because mine is very noticable(more so to me, but other ppl must notice it too) I'm just so sick of being uneven, i just want to be normal. I wish i could except the fact i'm not, but its one thing to say u accept it and another thing to actually do it. -thanks for replying -x-

Comment

Rincotato

my back is barely noticeable u can only see when i bend over, and even then barely. I wish i was normal too but when the brace comes off and when u get the surgery(if u get it) then ur spine if perfect! a litle pain now and then but no more curvy back! how noticable is ur spine? wat degree curve?

Comment

sooner or later it will end!

Comment

i'm not really sure of the degree i really shoud ask my doctor but he never really tells me the degree he just tells me whether its worstened or not. I have a double major curve i think (s shape) and my spine is also twisted and leaning forward slightly. It's very noticeable, my waist line is noticeably uneven, my right scaplula sticks out a lot more than my left one and my rib hump is quite big, you can notice it without bending down. I don't think the degree is bad enough to have surgery, even though my doctor says that its up to me if i would want it for cosmetic reasons but he isn't really all for it. i'm quite confused because i would really like to have better appearance and feel more confidant but i feel like perhaps going through surgery at this stage when its not entirely necessary(not life threatening) is too drastic.

Comment

just do wat u feel is best!

Comment

!

I like to think I have a positive attitude towards scoli lol mine's pretty noticeable, it's fairly severe since I'm having surgery, so anyway...back on topic here.

1. Like SuzyJay said, it's a part of you!! I try to like the things about myself that I can't fix.

2. Realize that things look ten times worse in your eyes than they do to the general public. And we're so lucky we don't live in Victorian times when everyone was perfectly straight. People tend to think I'm slouching, but it never crosses their minds that I'm "deformed".

3. About that whole deformed word...I really hate it. It doesn't describe scoli for me. I think of deformed as having an upside down nose, not a bit of a twist in your back.

4. Don't get me wrong, there are times I've felt deformed. When I was a bridesmaid I wore a semi backless dress and so everything was pretty obvious, to me at least. But no one commented on me at all except to say I looked great. And I got over it.

5. Join Spinekids.com. That site has helped me SO MUCH. It's extremely active and filled with kids that are mostly at peace with their backs (there's always someone going through a rough 'I'm deformed' period, and they get great support from this site). The positive attitude catches!

So there's my longer than is probably necessary post on proud scoli tips. Keep us posted!
                          I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

I have the same feelings as you do. Embrace the scoliosis and it wont be a problem. Glad to hear you guys came to that at a young age I'm 26 and have been through it for a while. Live my life, have fun and the pain is just a reminder that I'm alive and kicking! I often listen to people at work complain about their little aches and pains and laugh thinking what it would be like to be such a weak person as I stand there with pain radiating down my back and legs...it only makes us stronger

To all you gals out there worried about it...younger guys may look at it as a problem but us men dont care. Real men fall in love with the woman they are with and not the skin they're in. Same goes for you guys..I may have a big hump in my back when I bend over and a very low right shoulder but all the women that have ever meant anything to me saw right past it and could care less.

Live your life and dont let your scoliosis live it for you!!

Comment

scoliosis 'shark attack'

I am now 48 and up until 8 years ago wasn't getting much pain. I've had 2 boys, exercised and kept very fit until I had an accident which made me quite depressed. I piled on the weight and the pain in my lower back and ribs has got worse.
                              I had a Harrington Rod fitted 30 years ago, laid up in hospital for 3 months, not allowed to stand for more than a minute at first, plaster cast from neck down for 6 months, corset for 12 months. No white stockings then I'm afraid.
                              I wouldn't go as far as saying I have been PROUD but my sister and I have had some fun..........the scar on my back goes fom top to bottom, as I am sure a lot of other readers do. I didn't get a great correction and the scar I have is ugly to say the least. No neat little line for me.
                              At about the same time my sister had a leg operation which left a nasty scar on the front of her leg, some 10" long. We were often asked what the scars were from and I would say I had been attacked by a shark and my sister kicked it off and had saved my life! My sister would say exactly the same thing. We would crease with laughter, knowing that they would talk about the 'attack by sharks'.
                              I have never attempted to hide my scar when swimming etc. people are going to look, and I just think - so what!
                              Attending a Pain Management clinic but any advice to ease pain would be welcome. Thankyou for reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X