Question about bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about bracing

I've noticed that even when I'm wearing the brace, my shoulders are still uneven. Is there something wrong? Is the brace supposed to decrease the degrees of your curve overtime or is it supposed to hold you in a correct position as soon as you put it on? I'm afraid I might be wearing the brace wrong... Thanks in advance.

I believe the brace it there to keep the curve from getting any worse. I have had surgery and my shoulders are still uneven so that may never be corrected. Hang in there!
    26 year old female
    wore a brace in junior high
    fusion of T4-L4 at 15 years old
    broken hardware at 23 due to failed fusion
    November 10, 2008 hardware removal and fusion of L3-L4

Comment

Yeah, I know it's there to keep it from getting worse. But I've heard that braces, when worn, can correct the curve to some degree. My ortho told me that my 23º curve is "very correctable" and my brace would make my back grow straight. So.. is the brace supposed to work its magic overtime? That's what I believe, since I'm not seeing any signs of improvement just by wearing it, which also leads me to suspect that I'm either not wearing it correctly, or it wasn't designed properly. My next check-up with the doctor is in 3 weeks. Also, will the brace improve my back pain if it does correct the curve? I'm noticing pain when I look down at my chest and a numbing sensation on my right armpit. I'm going to talk to my doctor about this, next time. I'm guessing it's neuropathic pain... and I'm pretty sure its related to my scoliosis. Meh.. I think I'm going off topic, oh well.

Comment

When I first got my brace, about 9 months ago, I noticed that too! I thought my orthotist had made the brace wrong, but he didn't. You see, what your supposed to do is try to stand up as straight as you can. I know it's hard to do that but it WILL make your shoulders even.

Comment

Working...
        X