Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird feelings while wearing the brace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird feelings while wearing the brace...

Hi.. nice to meet you all, parents and teens... I'm a 15 year old dude who was diagnosed with scoliosis at the beginning of my freshmen year of HS. Back then, I had a curve of 18 degrees. Over the course of 8 months, it grew to 23 degrees.

So I had to wear a brace. Well, today I got my brace. The thing is, it feels so uncomfortable, I can't take big breaths, I can't lean back on the chair, I literally can't do jack. But that's not all, while wearing the brace, I feel aggrevated and almost a bit depressed... I honestly don't know why. I find that I get mad easier, and my mind isn't as sharp. It's been bothering me a lot. I've only had it on for an hour, and I couldn't take it any more. I took it off and I found... 3 huge red marks on my chest. And it's not helping my back pain, either.

Now here's my question, is this normal? All these feelings I'm getting? Should I loosen the brace a bit, next time? I know I'll get used to the pain with time, but will the feelings subside? I don't want my school work being affected because of my inhibitions. I don't want to feel aggrevated and dull everytime my brace is worn...

Give it more time!

I had to wear a brace for a few years.. the begining is the worst.

Make sure you have something on under the brace (undershirt or light T-shirt) something to help reduce the friction.

I also found that putting Rubbing Alcohol on my skin (especially where the red marks are) toughened the skin up after a few weeks and I was fine after that.

Personally I felt that having the brace a bit tighter helped my back pain quite a bit although I had to breathe shallower.

And I know where you're coming from with the depression and irritability, it happens to the best of us when we're forced to deal with something new.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing!

You might also want to check out www.spinekids.com it's a great site where you can connect with even more young people with scoliosis.

Good luck!
    Age 28
    diagnosed at age 12
    wore a boston brace until age 14
    No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
    T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
    L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
    2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
    2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Hey

Hey, i've been wearing a brace for 9 1/2 months now and i'm doing great, as carebear already said that the first couple weeks are the worst or at least until your skin gets use to it. Undershirts work wonders and so does the rubbing alcohol on the red marks. My advise to you and everyone else who reads this WEAR YOUR BRACE AS LONG AS YOU CAN! because the longer you wear it the better your curves will be and the better you'll feel as you get older. My curves 9 months ago were 45 top and 48 bottom now 9 1/2 months later my curves are an amazing 34 top and 35 bottom. So wear your brace because it really does help. As far as depression i'm not sure about that because i never had to deal with it, i was okay with the fact that i had a brace and i had to wear it, i didn't care what people thought about it. so i hope i helped. ~Sammie~

Comment

Well, see.. I'm not really depressed, I just feel irritated while I'm wearing it and only when wearing it. Kinda like a sickening feeling. I'm generally a happy person, but for some reason, when I'm wearing the brace, I don't feel like I usually am, emotionally. Oh, and it's not because I care about how others look at me, I just feel really restricted, making me feel weird.
        Last edited by AuraFlarez; 08-09-2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X