Getting a Brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Brace?

Hi! I just found out that I'm going to have to get a brace for my scoliosis. I don't remember what kind of brace it is, but could someone give me tips on clothes and stuff like that? Especially school probs. I haven't got my brace yet, so I'd just like a few pointers. Thankz!
    Last edited by nanfan4ever; 08-01-2005, 12:12 PM. Reason: I want to change the title.
    Listen my child to this story of dreams
    ~:~ For the beginning is more difficult than it seems
    When the ten daughters are reunited in order
    ~:~ When the four sided box loses it's border
    When eye of the pheonix is in your hand
    ~:~ When the bird of fire can see again
    When the moon sleeps and the sun plays
    ~:~ When the king of the sky shines his ray
    Underneath a river of colors
    ~:~Lies a gate to golden wonders

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Well, I found that at night in the warmer seasons, I wouldn't wear a shirt over my brace. With your brace-shirt and your brace, you stay fairly warm, even over-heated. So it's a good idea to have a fan in your room for warm weather.

For clothes- generaly elastic waistbands for pants and shirts that go and cover the brace. V-necks and tank tops aren't so good. I've seen people wear jeans, but they somehow get the jeans under the brace which seems uncomfortable to me.
    > Diagnosed at age 4
    > Braced at age 5
    > 35 degree curve somewhere, sounds funny but yes, I forget where...
    > Avid horseback rider

Comment

Thankz!!!

Thankz! I think it would be uncomfortable to wear jeans underneath unless they had this different fabric at the top. I have shorts like that! It's like a towel fabric...

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

hey! wut plopny said are some really good ideas and i have a few more to add to her list...so this is how i put my clothes on step by step :P and no one seems 2 notice the brace...

*put thin tshirt under the brace
        * then brace :P
        *then jeans (low riders are fine..ne kind will do..) put them OVER the brace..even if they only go like an inch or or dont even touch cuz there so low lol)
        * put sespenders on.. lol yeah i kno weird but it soooo works! then tighten them to the right lenght so pants dont fall down.. (do test squat down and come back..if pants stay then perfect if they fall even alil then tightn the suspender..)
        * if u have a brace that is bulky in the front (like mine) then put an elsitc strip but alil bigger on that area so itll b like a belt but its not bulky it jsut equals out that area...
        then put a long tank top (long bcuz if u raise yur hands no one will c the brace!)one that has a built in bra(need built in bra only if its bulky in the front..put the built in bra over the bulky spot so it equals out even more ..
        *then put ne shirt of likeing on and vua la! lol but dont wear a shirt that is 2 tight or the brace will b noticabe... but like semi tight and yur all good!..and for the pants as low and as tight as ya want em and it still wont b notiseble! lol well hopefully somtin i said was helpful..
        ps. heres a site wit some ideas... www.xanga.com/scoliosis_help_support
        *nessa*

Comment

Hi Nanfan,
          My daughter has been in her brace (TLSO ) for almost a year.

She wears Under Armour brand t shirts under her brace. They "wick" away moisture which helps alot here in South Florida. Also they are quite stretchy and come down below the end of the brace. The sleeves protect the underarm where the brace has that high spot that comes up underneath the armpit. She will then wear a regular t shirt over the brace and the combination of two shirts gives a layered look.

She is more comfortable in full size underwear and brings them up over the brace. She does not like low rise pants with the brace , so these days she has a bit of a fashion challenge. Skorts and skirts are easier to get with regular waists. She also really likes the big gym shorts that you can roll up the waistband.

She wears uniforms at school but the brace is usually well hidden under the polo shirt and the skirts the girls wear. Only a few friends know about her brace and she prefers to keep it quiet. She brings a "brace bag" to school so she has something to stash her brace in during PE without attracting attention.
          Hope this helps.
          Tikka's Mom

Comment

Thanx! I have uniforms too and I get the bigger shirts so then it's less noticable. I like to wear the skirts too because then it doesn't look like you are big in the theighs. lol!

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

Does anyone have any tips for Physical Ed?

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

I'm not sure how your school schedules PE and that will determine what you do. My daughter is allowed to go to the girls bathroom to remove her brace in private before PE. She carries a big brace bag that zips up, and stores it with her backpack. Because PE is at the end of the day, she just puts the brace back on after school.

As for her activities, she is not too into sports but likes to walk and run. Her favorite is yoga which her school is going to be having along with regular PE this year. But, any activity is OK as long as your doctor is alright with it.

She can have up to four hours out of the brace so we like to make sure some activity is happening during those hours, if possible.
                Regards, Tikka's Mom

Comment

I have lockers, so are there any good bags for a brace out there that I could put my brace in that would fit in my locker?

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

Hi,

We just use one of those soft "duffle bag" type luggage bags with the shoulder strap. You can pickup one just about anywhere. It's a bit big so I'm trying to find the time to sew her a bag she can use that has fabric she likes. But, that's not easy!

All the best,
                    Tikka's Mom

Comment

hey u mite wanna check out www.spinekids.com they gots LOTZ of ideas there!

Comment

Working...
                      X