New Here With Severe Back Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here With Severe Back Pain

Hi everyone. I am 28 years old, have had scoliosis since i was a child. For years i had forgotten i had scoliosis, til i went to the Chiropractor for severe back pain. Last year a town near by had a womens fair and a chiropractor had a booth set up with special coupon prices. Soo, i thought i would check it out. I went to his office and he said that i was 1-degree a way from being able to say i have scoliosis. His prices were outrageous and wasnt completely sure i believed that he could help me anyway, so i didnt want to spend the thousands of $$ on it unless i was completely sure. Now i read every where that there is no evidence of them helping this type of thing anyway. I go to the dr. several times thru the year with back pain. I guess i never mentioned my scoliosis to the Dr before because im thinking they cant do anything for it anyway?My lower back hurts so unbelievably bad i cant stand it and the middle of my back on the right side is more sore than the other. I dont no if its just getting worse or what. I am to the point now that my body aches all the time and i dont really care whether i get out of bed or not. Im in a bad mood all the time because i just dont feel good. The pain goes around to my hips also. Soo, i guess im going to the Dr today to see what i can do and also i have really weak knees so im wondering if i may have arthritis??I cant go on like this. I am 28 years old and i feel so old..

How did the chiro know your scoliosis degree? If he took x-rays, you should be able to "borrow" them from him to take to the other doctor, instead of getting another set of x-rays taken. I would think you would need to know the degree to be able to get any help if the problem is just scoliosis. In my case, they guesstimate my degree to be somewhere around 10 degrees, which is scoliosis, but not considered a severe enough curve to really label it as such, whatever that means. I am 49 years old and found out about my scoli about 10 years ago. Good luck with you doctor appointments, and God be with you. Kris

Comment

hi

I can understand your pain, it sounds like disc problems to me i have scoliosi in my lumbar 70 degree and 65 degree in thoracic. but biggest problem is disc's torn and wore out at 33. having surgery Sept 21 i'm hoping for the best. Take Care Dave
      Hello I'm Dave
      34 years old
      2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
      65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
      Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

It's never to late for surgery

I understand your pain. Before I had my first surgery at 16 I was miserable. I had surgery then and felt great for years. Then 3 years ago the pain started again and I couldn't get out of bed to go to clinicals. I saw a doctor who said that I needed spinal injections. Yeh I had a total of 9 in 1 year. I think I was not supposed to exceed 3 in a year, but I did. Needless to say the Dr. would not do surgery because I had previous hardware placement. So I continued being in severe pain. I would get out of bed in the morning and literally crawl to the bathroom to get ready. A friend finally told me of a Dr. in St. Louis and I went to see him. A few months later I had my second surgery and I am still in pain. He said it was due to me falling 5 weeks post-op. Now they are taking out my 3 inch sacral illiac scews and also a plate in the thoracic area. My first surgery was T2 - L2 spinal fusion with a Harrington Rod, my 2nd was anterior/posterior fusion with hardware replacement 5 new rods, plates and screws and 2 cages, I also had osteotomies done to make me stand straight. Now 3 years later still having pain in the hip and shoulder so the screws are coming out and the thoracic plate is coming out in 2 weeks. Believe me I have been there. I have kids, they will learn to fend for themselves and your husband will learn to take care of everything while you recouperate. If you don't do something soon I'm afraid that your family will end up turning on you because you are so cranky.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Dawn

Comment

Working...
        X