Suffering with scoliosis since childhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffering with scoliosis since childhood

Since I was a child I have suffered from scoliosis. Today i am 27 years old and don't even know if I can go to a doctor who will be able to help or not since I don't think much can be done. When I was younger my guardians never took me to a back doctor for this, they let me grow up the way I did with this and didn't do anything about it which has furiated me over the years since I became an adult.
    I've always lived on a limited income. I may be just now in a few months start to finally save money, and next month going to go and get a card to help those who have limited income to pay for a doctor, but I'm wondering what can possibly be done. Once when I was younger around 21 I had gone to a chiropractic myself and spoken to him, He did something to my back that had straightened it with doing something with the muscles, and for a few days I actually walked normal. I was giving daily back excersises which I did, but then it fell back into it's old way of looking the same again.
    When I was in school I was never thought of as looking differently. Everyone treated me as normal, and so I never much noticied I had a curve on my back. I wasn't one who was picked on in class, but when I grew up, I noticed myself and now have social anxiety when I'm not at work. I am very discuraged about my looks, never really had a decent relationship, and just feel as though all the time that people are staring at my back when I go out in public.
    I'm not sure what to do, I've even looked up back braces, but I know that I should probably go to a doctor first before considering it. If there are any of you out there who can maybe give me a bit of advice please let me know.
    Thanks,
    dynasty100

Hi Dynasty,
    sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I'm 28, and didn't have anything followed up as a kid. When I hit 27, my then-fiancee encouraged me to go and have my back checked out, as I have a humped back that is quite noticeable when I bend over. Long story short, I was diagnosed with kyphoscoliosis. The scoliosis is quite mild, but the kyphosis (forward curve that gives you a humped back or hunchback) is quite significant and has caused all sorts of pain.
    The problem at our age is that we've stopped growing. For this reason, braces are practically useless. Instead, I did the following:
    1. First stop was to go to my usual doctor, show him my curve and ask for an X-ray. An x-ray is usually pretty definitive, and it certainly showed up my abnormalities pretty well.
    2. If they don't do it straight away after seeing your x-rays, get the doctor to refer you to a physiotherapist. If you're anything like me, your back muscles are likely complaining on a daily basis about holding up your back in a way that they weren't designed to. A physio will give you a whole heap of exercises to help fix this.

Hope that helps!
    Martin Hughes

Comment

Hey there, how are you? well, I wanted to write you, just to let you know that I know 'EXACTLY' how you feel. I'm a 27 year old female with pretty severe scoliosis. I have two curves in my back; the top one curving to 82degrees, and the bottom curving to 65degrees. Growing up, my family discovered I had this problem (just one curve; 15degrees at the time) when I was about 13. I was given a brace to wear, but due to my dumb, teenage rebellion, I didn't. I didn't want to be picked on, so I never wore it.. Now I regret my stong headedness at the time... Anyway, I lived with the pain for all those years, then last year, I decided I couldn't deal with it anymore... I went to see my doctor who referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, who then recommended surgery... I will be going back to see him on the 23rd of this month, and I'll be given a date of the surgery...
      I know how you must feel, and I just want to say to you to "keep your chin up"... it's always been terrible for me, because thanks to my curves, I have one breast larger than the other... (noticably so)... I have this humongous hump on my back when I bend forward, and have one leg longer than the other... I've been asked numerous times why I walk with a limp... Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I know it's hard, but just hang in there... Just keep complaining to your doctor about the pain.. eventually, they'll sicken of it, and do something about it....
      we're about the same age, so if you feel the need to talk, email, chat or just vent, write me at monie0078@gmail.com . Ok? think about it, keep your chin up, and know that there's support for you anytime you need it..
      27 Years Old
      Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
      Post Surgery: 15 degrees
      www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

severe curve

Even some one my age was helped. I am working and pain free and much straighter AND had a hump reduction which made a big difference in my appearance. They used the bone from the hump reduction(thoracoplasty) for my fusion.

Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

have the same problem

I posted in a different message earlier about herniated discs and scoliosis. I was born with scoliosis, and had seen numerous of doctors to try and help me. As I was growing up, the doctors said, that I was bad, but not bad enough to wear a back brace, maybe when I get older, or I could think of having surgery to place a metal rod in my back. I have a mild S-curve nothing to worry about. But, then they tell me: you lean over to your left side, your collar bone is curved in and upwards, your shoulders set real high, you have a prominent hump on the left side of your back.... duh, glad u noticed. Now, I'm told that I should have had a back brace before I was 18, that never happened. Only exercise will help, the docs say.

I'm almost 29 years old. I gave up going to the doctors 10 years ago(lost hope for the doctors in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, FL), until I herniated my C5/C6 disc in July. I'm currently looking for a second opinion. After my last Doctor visit 2 weeks ago, I figured that if I can still function and have mobility, keep going until I can't really function, hoping and praying that I don't do more damage to my herniated disc or my spine.

Comment

Working...
          X