Questions, Questions, Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions, Questions, Questions

ok, i just went to my dr. for my 6month checkup... My curve had only gotten like 3 degrees worse (my dr. says its only one degree because of human error). I now have a 32.3 top and a 44.2 bottom. He said im finished growing- I'm 15. But anyway he told me some stuff... 1.) No matter what (surgery or not) I'll have arthiritis by 40 2.) I can not have sugery and progress a degree or so a year and have a free unrestricted life, but have a terrible curve at 60 (I've seen those old ladies with scoliosis... NO THANK YOU!) 3.) I could have surgery and lead a restricted life and still have back pain by 40.... I'm not supposed to go in for a checkup for until next year because he dosent think it's going to make a major difference Does he sound like a quack to you? I know, I know he's probably not, I just don't like the options he gave me... So what do ya'll suggest? Surgery, a second opinion WHAT?!?! anything anybody wants to tell me is appreciated..

Caitlin
    kickinbassfarm@aol.com

A response

Hi caitlin!
    My name is Mandy and im 13. I am having surgery in 1 1/2
    weeks(feb.4) my doctor gave me the same options and i chose surgery because i dont want to be deformed when i grow up and with the back pain i am already having i woulnt be able to play sports like volleyball. Your life wont be restricted only for a couple of months then you can play sports as long as their not contact sports like football you can do basically normal thins and wont be deformed or hunched. Do you have aim if so my sceenname is kiddomurphy whats yours? my email is amwitchipoo@yahoo.com
    your friend,
    M@ndy

M@ndy

Comment

Caitlin...

I think your doctor gave you very sound advice. You may have to have surgery some day, but I definitely don't think you want to rush into it. It's entirely possible that your curves will never increase.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

surgery

Hey, Caitlin! I know exactly how you feel. When I was 15 my doctor basically gave me the same options (they had just found my scoliosis). I didn't have surgery, because at the time they just wanted to monitor my curves to see if they'd increase. The doctor thought that they might not progress that fast since I was already through growing. My freshman year in college, though, I started having a lot of fatigue and back pain. By three in the afternoon I would have to lay down. That just wasn't cool for me, because I wanted to be an active 18 year old, not feel like an old woman. I went back to the doctor and my curves had increased quite a bit. He gave me the options again, but this time suggested I get surgery because of the quickness that my curves were getting worse. My grandma had scoliosis too, and I saw how much pain she was in everyday (the curvature caused her to have pinched nerves). I didn't want that for my life and future. Two years ago I went ahead and had surgery. I am very thankful I did. Now I do not have to be in pain or worry about being disfigured when I am older. That is just my experience. Remember, that there is no rush to get surgery. Give it some time to see if your back is going to stay as it is or get worse. Surgery is definitely a good option if you need it, but you have plently of time to make that decision. Susan

Comment

me too!

Hey! i'm sorta in the same place. I"m 14 and my curves are about at a 40ish degree curve the last time i was xrayed (6 months ago) but we know that my curve has progressed alot...i will find out friday if i will need to get surgery. I'm very nervous. Does anyone have any advice for what i should do? Please reply
          Chelsea

"to all the living there is hope..."
          Ecclesiastes 9:4

Comment

It is not true that you will have arthritis at age 42. I am now well past that age, never had surgery, no arthritis, no restrictions, My concerns are more cosmetics, (hump on the back and uneven waistline). take care.

Comment

I would not recommend surgery for someone with such low curves. 32 and 44 are under the surgery limit for most doctors (generally its upper forties or more to qualify). Surgery is a big deal and a very painful and difficult process - I had surgery a little more than a month ago. Sometimes I question whether or not it was worth it - my curve was 48 from L2 to T4.

First of all, there is a lot of money involved. Why spend 48,000 dollars on surgery if its not neccessary? Secondly, its painful. I don't even want to go into much pain I was in during my week at the hospital. Thirdly, your movement is extremely restricted. You can't jog, bike, or lift more than five pounds for three months. Non contact sports and lefting over 10 pounds mean waiting six months and contact sports or horseback riding mean waiting a year or more. Theres also difficulty in school if your surgery is during the school year, both with homework and being able to make it through the day.

Consider your options and don't rush in. Hope I've been helpful and good luck!
              Last edited by dapsbounce8; 03-17-2004, 11:45 PM.
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Originally posted by lily
                It is not true that you will have arthritis at age 42. I am now well past that age, never had surgery, no arthritis, no restrictions, My concerns are more cosmetics, (hump on the back and uneven waistline). take care.
                What degree was(were) your curve(s). I am contemplating not going through with the surgery for my son who is 15 and 50 49 deg. Please email me erinc777@gmail.com. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X