Scoliosis related to HIV??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis related to HIV??

I had an incident where I accidentally came into contact with blood of a 10-year old boy with scoliosis (he also has a tracheostomy so I guess he's in an advanced state) at the hospital where I work at. Nobody has mentioned him being HIV+ but I have this little scenario in my head.. his mother is not in the picture (but she's alive) and never goes to see him, his grandma takes care of him, I understand he has other brothers with the same condition and one of them died from it. Could it be possible that his mother is HIV+ (IF she were a drug addict) and therefore her kids are HIV+ and have developed scoliosis from it? I don't know anything about scoliosis, don't know its causes, don't know if it's only a genetical thing, but I guess I'm a little scared because of the incident and have to ask. Thank you.

In my head I'm thinking that the Tracheostomy tube could probably be from something other than scoliosis.

Scoliosis loosely fits into two cateogaries, Idiopathic and Congenital, (there's also neuromuscular scoliosis from conditions such as Cerebral Palsy or Muscular Dystrophy). In congenital there is a structural malformation that is present before birth, such as a Hemi vertebrae/s. Idiopathic scoliosis does not have a known cause at this present time.

In the reading I've done, things I've read, stuff I've learnt I have not seen a connection between people who are
    HIV + then developing Scoliosis from it.

I can't begin to imagine what kind of scenarios go through a person's head in this day and age when you come in contact with a person's blood; probably quite a lot.

"but I have this little scenario in my head.. his mother is not in the picture (but she's alive) and never goes to see him, his grandma takes care of him, I understand he has other brothers with the same condition and one of them died from it. Could it be possible that his mother is HIV+ (IF she were a drug addict)"

Is that all parts of scenario's that are going through your mind, or is some of this stuff actually known??. Isn't things such as HIV made a note of on a patient's record/medical chart etc

I'm not sure I answered your questions, but I hope I did
    :-)

Regards

Alison

Comment

From information I gathered a little while ago, he used to go to school and everything until he developed scoliosis and cannot walk now or do any of the things he used to do. And I've gotten some information about his mom, it seems like his brother died from the same disease a few years ago and his mom gave this kid to his grandma because she couldn't deal with it. Would this be a genetical thing then?

Comment

Something just came to mind.......do they (the brother and the boy) have Muscular Dystrophy (or something similar)?. That is a chromosomally linked disorder that runs through families, is seen in boys and is passed through the mother's chromosomes. And in which Scoliosis (neuromuscular scoliosis) usually develops as well. At about 10 ish is when a lot of boys with Muscular Dystrophy have to begin to go into Wheelchairs and can no longer walk. Just a thought??

There is some genetical patterning (ie running in families) of idiopathic scoliosis. I don't think the literature/ research on it has been particularly strong to date (ie not a lot's been done on it)

Alison

Comment

Yes I think that must be it, if I'm not mistaken he has some sort of distrophy. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "came in contact with" but as someone who works with blood daily, if you got a needlestick or if the blood came in contact with an opening in your skin or body (ie eyes, mouth, nose, etc) I hope you told someone you work with.. esp if the patient is HIV positive but there is always a chance that they might have something and not know so it's very important to get tested.

For myself, if I ever get a needlestick injury I am required to have multiple HIV & other tests and contact many people to let them know what happened.
            Age 28
            diagnosed at age 12
            wore a boston brace until age 14
            No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
            T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
            L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
            2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
            2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Hi jessiann,
              Now a days HIV spread very fast because teen age guys have made mistake by physical relation.the main thing is that it spread person to person because them blood infected by HIV virus and it also occurs due to reusing the same disposal or injection.so you always use new components like ijection , blade (for saving) , .you always use condom when you going for intercourse. so if anyone affected from HIV virus then i suggest you that you could use Kaletra drug for treatment .

Comment

Working...
              X