Driving woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving woes?

I started wondering about this after I failed my driving test twice based on poor road position. Often while I was learning, my driving instructor would complain that I was drifting left, however I thought I was driving straight. His idea of 'straight' was my idea of drifting right.
    I have noticed through exercise and self examination that the upper part of my body leans slightly left due to scoliosis (which I was recommended surgery for). Could it be that my perception of driving straight is actually driving slightly left. I am having major trouble with this, despite understanding what I am supposed to do when driving.
    Does this sound plausible? Did anybody else have trouble with this when learning to drive. How did you overcome it? Or am I just a bad driver (you can say it!)

Hi Megan...

Well, I've never heard of anything. It seems to me that if you always think that left is straight, that you'll eventually drive into oncoming traffic. ;-)

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

driving woes

What country are you driving in (what side of the road are you driving on?) I don't remember my first driving test in the US, it was so long ago. But I can tell you that when I first started driving on the left side of the road (steering wheel on right hand side) my husband would complain that I was too far to the left. He would occasionally drift, too. My american friends who have attempted to drive here in Australia all were drifting to the left. I'm not sure it's related to your scoliosis.

Comment

Maybe it's the roads?

I 'learned' to drive in Australia. I have never been good at any skills which require hand eye coordination (video games, sports etc). My chiropractor told me that children with scoliosis often have hand eye coordination. When I was growing up my scoliosis was always blamed for why I couldn't do something, so I wonder whether I have just learned not to expect to be good at certain things (unfortunately, such things were unimportant until now!).

Comment

driving

I had very severe scoliosis as a teen and have always had excellent hand/eye coordination. As a matter of fact I am a nurse-anesthetist.

I never heard about about a correlation between scoliosis and poor coordination barring other conditions. Where DID your chiropractor get THAT info?
          Karen
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i have some diffucultly with eye and hand coordination as well but I was told that it was not from my Scoliosis but my CMT (Charcot Marie Tooth). I am very short and so I had to give myself sort of a booster seat where I sit higher in the car so that it is easier for me to see all parts of the road. I notice that when I don't use my cushion that my driving does tend to lean toward one way or another. I was born and raised in the US so I dont have the excuse of learning to drive on a different side of the road...I wish :-) Hope this helps a little.
            Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Hand To Eye Cooridination

I'm NO doctor but being someone that had surgery 31 years ago (now 38) from congenital scoliosis give me some insight. Where DID your chiropractor get THAT info? Growing up I could out run, jump, throw and catch 98% the friends throw out high school (including several that played major sports on a collegient level). I also played drums on the marching band in high school and college all of which I should not be able to do according to your chiropractor.

I agree with Ms. Karen 100%!! There can be certain limitation due to scoliosis but hand to eye coordination is not one. I'm pretty sure I'm not an exception in hand to eye with scoliosis. Good luck and God Bless.

Dee

Comment

Working...
              X