22 month old in need of proper evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 month old in need of proper evaluation

I notice a lot of you have children who have been diagnosed and are already undergoing scoliosis treatment. Where were your children diagnosed and how did the examiners do it?

I have scoliosis myself and underwent 9 years of brace treatment as a kid. My 22 month old with perfect posture now has tank top straps and overall straps falling consistently off of her left shoulder. I was concerned and took her to the chiropractor, but he could not get a good look at her, as she screamed at him the whole time! (it's the age).

Who diagnosed your kids? Were they x-rayed? Did they have to be sedated to be still enough to x-ray?

Stef

Hi Stef,
    My son was diagnosed when he was 8 months old. He is now almost 4, and has had many, many X-rays. He has never been sedated for any of them. I think that most X-ray techs (especially ones that work in a children's hospital) are pretty good at getting kids to hold still long enough to get the job done! I would suggest that you take your daughter in to see your family doctor, and have him/her refer you to a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. Hope this helps, and Good Luck finding out more about your daughter's possible curve. Would love to hear what you find out.
    Cathy

Comment

chiropractic for child?

Tread with caution

Chiropractic treatment paralyzed this Canadian child by misdiagnosis.
      Here is the case report:
      http://www.chirobase.org/08Legal/turner.html

Please search out this link to find out where chiropractic is useful and to find the right chiropractor:

http://www.chirobase.org/

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Stef,

My son was diagnosed in-utero at 19 weeks gestation, so I can't help you much there My daughter was diagnosed on her 13th birthday with idiopathic scoliosis. Her pediatrician was seeing her for a strep infection, and on a whim, asked her to do a forward bend test. Immediately I could see the assymmetry in her back.

In an almost 2yr old, look for things like head tilting to one side more than the other, uneven shoulders, discomfort when lifting legs to change diapers (may indicate a spinal cord/nerve problem), etc. If you suspect scoliosis, your pediatrician could order a spine xray. I agree with the others, sedation is not necessary for a simple xray.

Watch her closely but no need to panic. Continue enjoying her each day. Scoliosis isn't too important at this point, I'm sure. Take care and good luck!
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
        X