Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Rolfing, or not to Feldenkrais: that is the question (scoliosis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Rolfing, or not to Feldenkrais: that is the question (scoliosis)

Hello,

It's nice to see this forum
    Here's a nice story for you:

I'm 22 years old, having a 10-20 degree scoliosis, saw a chiropract 7 times, do his woukouts each day with a little relief, but still having big pains, got interested by Rolfing and Feldenkrais, searched this forum and got

So, which 1 would you recommend if at all?
    To Rolfing, or not to Feldenkrais: that is the question

Thanks a lot and may you all be healthy, strong, and happy!

Yair Z.

Hi, I have not tried Feldenkrais, but I have tried Rolfing. A Rolfer in Philadelphia helped me greatly with chronic pain I have in my low back. However, a practitioner I saw on the West Coast was unable to help me in the same way. I believe that for most people with no medical complications Rolfing might offer some relief, but in complex cases it probably depends on the skills of the individual practitioner. I know this doesn't help much... perhaps if you could get some recommendations from people in your location that would help. Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Yair Z.,

I can offer this in the way of Rolfing (structural integration). I myself once had an ideopathically derived scoliosis, HAD being the operative word. As a result of structural integration my curvature is only a couple of degrees at its worst. Finding a skilled and knowledgable S.I. practitioner (or Rolfer) is the key to success in utilizing this work. The premise and method behind the work is very sound and effective, but as with any manual discipline, not all practitioners are equal in their abilities and sensitivity. Results will vary for each and every individual, as every case of scoliosis is distinctly different from the next.

Despite some of the bad-mouthing the work gets, justified or not, it could be of help to many folks with scoliosis if we stopped the mud slinging and gave these things an honest try. Chiropractic can be helpful, but one must keep in mind that it is our soft tissue network that provides orientation and positioning of the skeletal body (bones do not move by themselves). Moving bones without addressing the tensional imbalance within the fascial network is not likely to have lasting effects.

Find a qualified and skilled practitioner (find out if they have experience working with scoliosis) and give it a try for at least 2 or 3 visits. I'm pretty certain you'd be pleased with effect.

structural75

Comment

Working...
      X