a little scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little scared

My name is Lindsay and I got my brace in june 2005 during summer break so no one from school knows about it! Will I get made fun of? Do i need to wear baggy clothes? Do you take it off during gym? I just need help so any ones advice would be greatly appreciated thx!

Lindsay*
    Lindsay, age 12
    Curve without brace - 40 top, 45 bottom
    Curve with brace - 40, 38!!!!!
    S curve Started wearing Boston brace
    in June 2005 and will have it for at least 2 yrs.

Don't Worry

Hey Lindsey, i have some answers to your questions. You may get made fun of at first depending on how big your school is, but after a while people will forget about it and treat you like a normal person again. Just make sure that you tell your best friends first so that if someone who is not your friend makes fun of you your best friends can stick up for you just like my wonderful friends did in Feb. (i won't go into detail unless you really want to know) i thought before i got my brace i was going to have to get a whole new wardrobe but i didn't i could still wear almost all my clothes so don't feel like you have to wear baggy clothes all the time just wear what you feel like wearing. Depending on what kind of brace you are getting if its like mine that goes passed my hips and up to my left underarm you have to take it off for gym because you can't move LOL. But everyone in my old school was okay with my brace, in highschool i'm not sure whats going to happen, but i'll be fine. Good Luck with your brace Lindsey. You just have to get use to wearing it and you'll be fine. Don't worry about school next year, your friends will help you through it.
    ~Sammie~

Sammie
    Fav. Pastimes: Softball and Listening to music
    Been in a brace: for about 10 months
    Have to wear it: 3 years
    Kind of Brace: TLSO
    Greatest help with brace: My Friends

Comment

thanx

thank you so much sammie i really apprieciate it and you have the exact same brace as me down my hips and up my left arm LOL !and I will definintly tell all my friends so they stick up for me and if there always wondering why i have a big wht plastic thing under my clothes.And I did kinda figure that i had to take it off during gym cuz you cant move like you said LOL.Well youve been a great help thank you so much!!!!!!

Lindsay
      Lindsay, age 12
      Curve without brace - 40 top, 45 bottom
      Curve with brace - 40, 38!!!!!
      S curve Started wearing Boston brace
      in June 2005 and will have it for at least 2 yrs.

Comment

Hey

Hey, no problem i love helping new people get through these difficult times with the brace. I really wish that i had this much help when i was put in a brace but i think it was instinct that i had to tell my friends about it first and try to hide it from everyone else. But about ummmm 3 days after i got my brace it had gone through the whole school and back again. (That is how small my school is) LOL well if you have anymore questions just ask i'm right here and i will never leave this forum even after i get my brace off, i want to help people with this because its not fun at all. Well i'm glad i could help.
        ~Sammie~
        if you want to read what happened in Feb. with my friends and i its under and topic "Barbie" acouple scrolls down from this one. So read it if you want.

Comment

Lindsay, my daughter chose to wear her brace during all physical activities, including PE and recreational team sports. She (or I) needed to inform the school and her coaches of the brace, and her PE teacher was really nice about it. He accepted the limitations as the group did toe touches and sit-ups, etc. He knew she would do what she felt comfortable doing with her brace on. In her case, she didn't want the back pain of not wearing the brace, so she wore it whenever she was permitted. Good luck with your brace! Kris

Comment

No one at my school knows about my brace aside from my best friends. If you get a boston brace, chances are no one will notice it. Milwaukee is another story... Well, if anyone makes fun of you, tell them to punch you in the stomach! I think more people think it's cool than wierd. I didn't have to wear baggy clothes. Most of my old clothes fit, but I did have to get some more shirts. As for the gym thing, I take my brace off. I just go into the bathroom with a big bag and no one notices. But if you want to leave it on, make sure you tell your gym teacher.

Comment

Working...
            X