Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Lingo

Hello all.

I am finding myself overwhelmed with all this scoliosis/kyphosis lingo from the doctors. I am unsure as to what state of health I am in. I have a 50t/45l curve with a 15 scoliometer measurement. I have kyphosis which is increased to 75 degrees. I am not sure if these are truly very severe, moderate, or mildly severe. Can someone with more experience please help me blast through the medical lingo? I had a PFT test done and have some lung obstruction. I also weigh about 50 pounds more than I should. I am trying to work on that. I am 27 years old.

I am possibly going to be getting engaged soon but if my health is going to deteriorate I don't want to put my boyfriend through all that trauma. Can someone please help me!

Thanks,
    Becky

Hi Becky...

You'll often see people mention their curve measurements in their posts. Curves of 45 and 50 are certainly significant enough to treat, but relatively small in comparison to many of the people here. Having kyphosis along with scoliosis can definitely complicate the matter. Normal kyphosis is 20 to 50 degrees. Abnormal kyphosis (anything above 50) almost always has an impact on pulmonary function.

All of this is correctable with surgery, so there is no need to think you'll ever be disabled. Most of us aren't. One thing you might want to consider is the possibility of passing your kyphoscoliosis on to any children you may have.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda for your reply. Is surgery needed ASAP for this type of thing. Not sure what to think? Have no pain or anything. I am wandering if the lung thing will increase rapidly. I know being overweight can hinder surgery. Do you know people with Kyphosis that have had children?

Thanks,
      Becky

Comment

Hi Becky...

Scoliosis survery is almost never an emergency. If your skeleton is already mature (that happens to most girls at around 15 years old), then you probably won't see any large increase in your curves in the next few years. You might want to take my "Is Scoliosis Surgery Right for You" quiz. It points out the sorts of things you need to consider when deciding if/when to have surgery.

Yes, I know plenty of people with kyphoscoliosis who have had children. If it doesn't bother you that you might pass the condition along to your children, then there's nothing about which you need to worry.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X