surgery in 1973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery in 1973

hello...i am new to this and have never been on a forum before so bear with me....i had a fusion in 1973...surgeon was hugo keim...i was 23 and had a very severe curve...have never had a problem since. great child birth...runner...etc... i got some correction because my spine had already fused itself...so now 32 years later i am feeling like the curve is increasing....is this possible...i have a harrington rod in my lower spine...ive forgotten all of the specifics....i went back to see dr keim in early 90's with xrays and he indicated at that point that i had some additional correction since the original surgery...so what to do...who to see...i am in the ny metro area.....thanx for any and all input...

Hi, I had surgery in 1981 with Dr. Keim as well. No problem with childbirth, pain free, etc. until 1997, then I started with pain under the shoulder blade, etc. Dr. Thomas Errico took over his practice and has all his records. I went to him in 1999 to have myself checked as I was quite concern that the pain returned. He is at NYU in NYC. When you call, ask him to obtain your records. I don't want to misinform you about your curve increasing but certainly, Linda and others on this site will be able to help you with that, they are amazing with the information they have to share. Also, Dr. Boachie at Hospital for Special Surgery is a fabulous revision surgeon. Many people on this site have had him as their surgeon and speak very highly of him. I had seen him also but didn't not need to have anything further done. I also thought very highly of him. Good luck. Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Mag...

Yes, the curve may be increasing. Lynn's recommendation of Drs. Errico and Boachie are good (especially Dr. Boachie). Also Jean-Pierre Farcy & Michael Neuwirth.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thank you both for the information...what about joseph dryer or thomas errico..?

Comment

oops...i did just reread and saw that dr. errico was mentioned...what about joseph dryer?

Comment

Hi...

I haven't heard of Dr. Dryer in terms of seeing a lot of patients with prior scoliosis fusions. You may want to call his office to see how much of his practice deals with revision surgery.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X