What should I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect?

Hello, I have just joined this forum, and I think it should help me alot.
    I found out I had scoliosis when I was 13, but was not required to wear a brace because my doctor said it would not help my curvature. He did say, however, that surgery was an option for me, but he said it was not a must. I wish I had just gone ahead with the surgery while I was younger. Now 23, my doctor has strongly reccommended that I get the surgery (55 degrees top, 44 bottom), and I have to agree because I am in alot more pain now more than ever. I have a few questions about what to expect after surgery:

How easy will it be for me to concentrate on school work while on medication? Are the rods made out of titanium or stainless steel. How much do they weigh? I'm a very active person...will I gain weight and become out of shape? I'm kind of excited to gain inches...how much taller did all of you get?
    Last edited by Jess; 01-18-2004, 09:37 PM.

hey jess!! my names ellen and im 14(almost 15) my scoliosis was found whenever i was 13 too!! i was supposed wear a brace, but i was growing to fast for it to even work!! so i ended up having the surgery oct 6,03!! i was just released last friday!!YAY!! so now i can do watever i want except contact sports!! but i dont mind that!! my curves were 51 bottom and 19 top but after surgery top was 23 and bottom is 24!! Fot the first 2 wweks you wont even feel like doing nething skool wise or w/e your gonna practically watch tv and sleep. but it all depends on the person!! i dont no wat the rods are made out of, but i think they are stainless steel n i have no cluc how much they weigh, but im sure not very much!! i was 97 pounds before surgery and like 89 after!! so i lost way to much weight!! 8 pounds!! so now i have been drinken GAIN WEIGHT (EWWWW) itz soooo grosss i think!! lol but i have gained bak 6 pounds of wat i lost!! which is good for me!! also, i grew 2 inches sfter surgery biut it looks like more b/c im straiter than i was before!! email me if u have any questions or just wb on this post!! my email is beachblonde04@yahoo.com
    good luck!!
    ellen
    by the way....wens ur surgery?
    much <3
    ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
    before--51 and 21
    after--15 and 14

Comment

my surgery

Hey, Jess! My name is Susan, and I had surgery on Jan 29th, 2002. I was 19 when I had my surgery, which was older than most for first time surgery. I kind of had the same experience as you. They found my scoliosis when I was 15, so I never wore a brace or anything. At the time, my curves weren't that bad (23,28). By my freshman year in college, though, I had started having a lot of pain and fatigue. When I went back to the doctor my curves were a lot worse, so I went ahead and had surgery. In the hospital I lost A LOT of weight (probably about 15 pounds or so). Even once I was home, I didn't have much of an appetite, so even though I couldn't do much, I didn't gain back too much weight. I was very athletic before my surgery, too. My doctor said that it was part of the reason I had such a good recovery. For some time after my surgery (about 6 months) I couldn't exercise other than walking, so I did lose a lot of muscle. As soon as I could, though, I started working out again, and now I am back to my "old" self. I gained about an inch and a half, which was pretty cool (I am now 5'10"). I think that was the best part of surgery (other than getting my spine all straightened ) I'm not sure what my rods are made of, I think it is stainless steel. I also think they weigh a few pounds. Anyway, that is my experience. If you have any more questions, feel free to post or email me at jaydedgrrl04@hotmail.com Susan

Comment

Thanks for your reply Susan. I am going to meet with the surgeon this Thursday for the first time to discuss possible surgery. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through with it though. One of my main concerns at this point is that I am in college and will be attending during and after surgery, I'll just have to take time off. Seems crazy to me, but I have no choice...I'm not getting any younger, and I need to take full advantage of my parents insurance.

Were you in school during your surgery? How was your concentration level affected by the pain killers? How long did it take you to be able to move around well and drive? Sorry for all the questions, I just hope to be back in school as soon as possible. Thanks!

Comment

college

Hey, Jess! I was in college when I had my surgery, and I went ahead for pretty much the same reasons you are (age and parent's insurance ) I went ahead and took a whole semester off. I had my surgery the end of January and did not attend school the rest of that spring. I did take a few online courses, though, which helped me not get so behind. My doctor did not want me to drive for six weeks, although I could ride in a car again after a month. It honestly took me about six weeks, though, to be able to turn and move the way I needed to in order to drive. The meds did not really affect my concentration level that much. I had been taking painkillers before my surgery for my back pain, so my body was more used to them I guess. What did impair my concentration, though, was sitting for a prolonged time. I think that was the hardest part. Even when I was back in school that summer and fall, I found it very difficult to sit through an hour long class. I had to bring pillows with me to sit on. Also, once I was back in school, I wanted to go back to life as normal, but I really wasn't ready for that. The doctor still had limitations for me. It was easier to live inside those rules when I was just at home and not at school. I think I answered all your questions...feel free to ask more if you'd like
          Susan

Comment

Hi there! I'm wondering if you made your decision yet?
            I had the surgery when I was 15. I bounced back quickly. I did not require any medication other than tylenol after the surgery. One huge recommendation I would make to you is to see a scoliosis surgeon who ONLY does scoliosis surgery. I had a great experience I went to a doctor in NYC who was one of the best in the field. I have heard many less than perfect experiences from other people who didn't go to someone good.
            Good luck to you!!!

Comment

Working...
            X