Seeking Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Recommendations

These are sort-of random questions , but I wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a certain type of mattress that is great for relieving back pain and specifically pain from scoliosis?? Some people have suggested that I go for the SAT Memory Foam...but I thought asking for feedback from other scoliosis patients like myself would be a good idea first....just to see what you might know...
    Also, I was wondering if any of you have jobs that require you to sit, basically, from 9-5? I have noticed more back pain since I started a new job at a computer/desk all day....any recommendations of a great chair to relieve some of the pain or offer more back support??
    Thanks in anticipation...

Hi...

In addition to any responses you get here, you might want to try a search of MATTRESS and CHAIR. There have been several discussions on both topics in the past.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have a memory foam topper on my coil sprung mattress - its the best thing I ever bought! The solid memory foam I found too unforgiving - once it compressed I couldn't seem to get comfy. The topper seemes a good compromise.

My chair is just one that adjusts in every possible direction - it came from ikea of all places but it seems to suit me fine and I tried out loads before I bought it.

Hope this is a help.
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

re: mattresses

Hi:

There is a group in Yahoo call Fiestyscolioflatbackers@Yahoogroups.com
        in their site they have files that you can look at and one of them was an in depth look at different types of beds for scoliosis sufferers you may want to take a look - another great group there is scoliosisnutty@yahoogroups.uk.com this is an extremely good group of fols that are always there to hlp out with information when you ask

Nancy
        Nancy

Comment

HAnn,
          After my surgery, I had quite a bit of pain from some of the implants that, due to weight loss and their location along my spine, are close to the surface. I was waking up in the middle of the night more than once feeling like I was laying on something and trying to adjust to get comfortable. I also had lower back pain that I could not get relief from. I tried pillows under my knees and thighs, but no relief. I thought I'd try a memory foam topper for my bed since it was relatively inexpensive compared to buying a whole new mattress set, but didn't really feel any relief from that either.

My husband and I read in a recent Consumer Reports article that when trying new mattresses, it's best to lay on them for 15-20 minutes in order to actually get a good feel for it's comfort level. My husband and I tried several types of beds and finally decided to purchase a Sleep Number bed at the beginning of June and I've been sleeping through the night ever since. I don't have the low back pain or annoyance of the implants anymore. I highly recommend the 15-20 minute test that Consumer Reports suggested and go on different days becuase mattresses are going to feel different depending on how your back is feeling.

As for office chairs, I've been back to work for 3 months and am still trying to find a chair that is comfortable for me. I have an electronic workstation that I can raise and lower as needed, but do sit for most of the day and I just have not found a chair that is comfortable yet.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X