Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New - Anterior Thoraculumbar Spine Fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New - Anterior Thoraculumbar Spine Fusion?

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. My 15 y.o.daughter is scheduled for surgery on 7/20/05 with Dr. Boachie, here in New York. She is having a procedure where he will enter through her side and take bone from a rib for the spinal fusion. He will also be inserting some instumentation but it will only extend over the lower region of the spine. He feels that this will be sufficient to correct both the lower curve, which is the most severe, and the upper curve and rotation which he said were compensatory. Now that I have been reading many posts at this site, I see that the lumbar fusion may be more limiting than other segments. I also got the impression that this may be the area that people have the most post-surgical problems with. On the other hand, I think this procedure may be less invasive. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks, Lori

Hi Lori...

I understand your concern, but I think it's impossible for those of us without medical training to know what's best for each individual. I'm sure that Dr. Boachie is recommending the anterior procedure because that's what he's had the best outcomes on for kids with curves similar to those of your daughter. Since you're concerned about what he's recommending, perhaps a second opinion is in order.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,
      Thanks for your response. I think I may not have been clear about what I was asking. I am confident that Dr. Boachie has recommended the best treatment. I'm just trying to get some information regarding the recovery from that particular procedure. It seems that there are so many different variations when it comes to spinal fusion and instrumentation. Lori

Comment

Lori, The anterior approach is a harder recovery than if you have just a posterior approach. I had the most pain and discomfort from my anterior incision than from any of the other incisions. It took me quite a while before I could lay on my side to sleep. Make sure that your daughter does the breathing exercises that they will give her in the hospital. Did your doctor talk about deflating her lung? Usually this is also done so she will have a chest tube in when she wakes up. I don't want to scare you with this information but I always feel better once I know what I'm going to be dealing with instead of not knowing. If you have any other questions, please ask.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa,
          No, the doctor didn't mention deflating the lung but we haven't yet gone for the final pre-surgical consultation. That sounds pretty frightening but it's always good to be prepared so thanks for the information. Lori

Comment

Hi there
            I recently read a study which suggested that post operative infectio is much less likely using an anterior only approach. Have a look at http://www.c3.hu/~mavideg/jns/2-4-p1.html
            Good luck
            Lorrie

Comment

Working...
            X