Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both daughters having surgery this month!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both daughters having surgery this month!

I debated whether to write to the forum or not. I read the posts occasionally but now with both girls having surgury in a few weeks I don't want to read any negative posts by accident. I guess I'm just writing to talk to people that would understand what we are going to have to go through.

Here's our stats:
    Daughter #1 age 14 surgery scheduled for July 11th. 60degree thoracic 44 lumbar. Will be fused from T3 - T12.

Daughter #2 age 16 surgery scheduled for July 14th. 57 degree will be fused T2-L2.

Anyway, looking forward to when scoliosis will be a thing of the past in our family.

Barbara

Barbara,
    Best of luck to both you and your daughters. I'm sure everything will go wonderfully. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    A lot of us have been through this already so we know what you are going through. Don't hesitate to ask for support. I have asked and have gotten wonderful results!
    Kate's Mom (Kathy)

Comment

Barbara,

I think the support you will get from this forum is worth the risk of occasionally hearing something bad. Like Barbara said, a lot of us have been through the surgery with our kids recently and we are all here for support, prayers and anything else you might need. Your daugthers' fusions are very similar in length to my daughter's fusion and she is almost seven months post-op, so if there's anything you want to know, please ask.

Mary Lou

Comment

Wow, you have your hands full! Hopefully the girls will be able to help each other through the recovery process. I'm sure that you guys will all do great, and you will look back on this as a bonding between the three of you.
        Also, July 11th is a wonderful day for surgery! (this 7/11 will be my rods' 14th birthday!!)
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Thank you for your kind thoughts. This really is a wonderful forum. I will keep you posted about their surgeries.

Barbara

Comment

Barbara, we can find some comfort in thinking of each other, as Dawn from the forum and I will be at Shriners Greenville SC getting Dawn's child's surgery on July 14 and my daughter's surgery July 18. We can think of each other across the miles! God bless your daughters and you. Kris

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraJ
              Here's our stats:
              Daughter #1 age 14 surgery scheduled for July 11th. 60degree thoracic 44 lumbar. Will be fused from T3 - T12.

Daughter #2 age 16 surgery scheduled for July 14th. 57 degree will be fused T2-L2.
              Gracious, you will have your hands full. Are you in a part of the world where you get home help? If it's any consolation, we found that, by the time Caitlin was allowed to come home from the hospital, her care wasn't complicated -- no more rolling every two hours, no dressings to change, and so forth. We just had to give the meds on time (we kept a chart, because all her meds were on different intervals and it got too confusing to keep in our heads), make sure she got her walks in, give her many small meals during the day, and change the DVDs and story tapes. Not really much harder than taking care of a child with a bad cold.

Best of luck - Patricia
              Patricia
              Scoli Mum from New Zealand
              Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
              Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Barbara,
                I also want to wish you and your daughters all the best. My daughter is scheduled for July 20 and I am starting to feel more and more anxious so I can just imagine how you must be feeling. I was also very afraid of reading anything frightening. I discovered this site about a week ago and reading the posts regarding the recovery process has actually been very encouraging. Keep us all posted on how things are going...Lori

Comment

I am sending you well wishes for both of your daughters' surgeries today and later this week...best of luck!!!
                  (see, I told you I would remember that her surgery was on the same day I had mine years ago )

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Rachel and list,
                    Thank you for your replies. My one daughter had her surgery yesterday. Everything went well.....Yay! But what a hard day!!!! And now we have to do it all over on Thursday.

Thanks for your prayers. Please keep it up

Barbara

Comment

Barbara,

I'm glad #1 surgery went well. Continued prayers and well-wishes for a successful #2 surgery, and a smooth recovery for both. Make sure you take care of yourself. Hopefully you have some help in the recovery process. Good luck.
                      Carmell
                      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Both girls have had their surgery and are doing fine. In fact, one came home today. She is doing great! It is just phenomenal the progress they make in such a short period of time. My other daughter is doing well too. Of course she is 3 days behind my other daughter but she walked around today 2 days post op.
                        After the first kids surgery I thought maybe we had made a mistake having both surgeries the same week but now that it's all over I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And the possibility for some sleep

Anyway list, thanks for your kind words. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me, I'm an old pro now.

Barbara

Comment

glad to hear it all went so well!

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
                          X