Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Far, So Good!

Hey Everyone,

I had my two weeks post-op appointment today and it went great. They removed all the staples and it feels so much better with them gone. The doctor is still a little concerened that I still have a tiny bit of forward lean but over all we're very pleased so far. One of his students (a
    Fellow student, I think that is what they are called when they are doing a fellowship) who was in the operating room was there today also and told me that he had gone all over the hospital looking for me on Monday, June 6th. He said he checked the 18th floor (where I had been), then checked the 14th floor, talked to the nurses, couldn't believe I had been released the day before so he then checked with admissions. Since I left the hospital I have not used a walker or cane or anything for assistance in walking. Granted, I do tire and walk slowly but I'm able to do it in an upright position. I still have all the same restrictions as the first surgery, I go back July 15th for x-rays and another checkup. Let's hope everything keeps going good.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

That's great Theresa!

Praying you continue to improve!

Comment

Thanks Cindy, I forgot to say that a little over an inch was taken out of the spine. So needless to say I think that I am now down to 5'1-1/2" tall.
      Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
        Thanks Cindy, I forgot to say that a little over an inch was taken out of the spine. So needless to say I think that I am now down to 5'1-1/2" tall.

Wow, really? I suppose that could make a difference. But, if you're better, that's what counts, right? *hug*

If I ever get to have surgery.. (and thats a HUGE if!) I wonder if I need to be made shorter... can they also make me thinner?

Comment

Hey Cindy,

Actually I've lost a little over 25 pounds from the surgery last year to now. Your body has a lot of healing to do and that takes calories. Most people do remain the same in height or actually get taller (which is what I was hoping for) depending on the amount of correction you get. In my case last year I had six discs removed as well so I didn't gain any height. Have a great day!
          Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Question for Theresa

Theresa,

Who is your doctor? It could be you've mentioned this in another post, but I figure it is easier to just ask. I am in Oklahoma and wonder if you went to someone close to home or traveled. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hey d_ann,

I saw Dr. Charles Reitman here in Houston. Also Dr. Darrell Hanson was in on my surgeries. Some people asked me why I didn't go to someone else for the 2nd surgery (LaGrone, Bridwell, etc.), Dr. Reitman and Dr. Hanson did a great job the first time and when they went in the first time there was some problems. The osteotomy was considered the first time but beings as it took so long they didn't do it and were hoping that they wouldn't need to. I wanted to stick with them beings as my spine was so deformed they knew what they were going into. Dr. Reitman is a very compassionate doctor and takes as long as you need with him. I can e-mail him anytime of the day or week and he will answer back himself. If you look under the Baylor College of Medicine, Orthopedics, here in Houston you will see some info on him and Dr. Hanson. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
              Last edited by Theresa; 06-21-2005, 01:58 PM.
              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi All, Found this x-ray of my spine before surgery. The second one is of the thorasic area after surgery. I'll post another one here of the whole back fixed when I get it.
                http://photos.yahoo.com/tabd1@flash.net
                Last edited by Theresa; 07-07-2005, 03:09 PM.
                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi All,

Just had my 6 week check-up and everything is doing great. The doctor has released me for work starting on August 22nd with only lifting restrictions. I need to start 4 to 8 weeks of PT one time a week to work on loosening and stretching the hip flexors. I'll update again after work begins. Have a great summer!
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

surgeon close to Oklahoma

D'Ann:
                    If you are looking for a good surgeon who works on adult backs close to
                    Oklahoma, you should meet and talk to Dr. Alexis Shelokov in Plano, Texas.
                    He did my surgery in Feb, o5, I have done well for 63 years old, and was
                    given much assurance by other women (4) who were his surgery patients.
                    I have since talked to another orthopedic back surgeons nurse who said he had an excellent reputation for work on adults. You may contact his web site at www. consultingorthopedists.com. Kathleen

Comment

Kathleen,

Thank you for the recommendation. Since I inquired, I discovered that Dr. Keith Bridwell (St. Louis) is on my HMO and have been to see him. I am scheduled to have surgery with him in February. I'll be going to Dr. LaGrone in Amarillo on September 1 for a 2nd opinion, but if he agrees, then it's a done deal. The plan is to fuse me to the sacrum and put in cages at L4-5 and L5-1.
                      Not my idea of a picnic, but better than living every day with pain. He said it is 85% likely that this will alleviate my pain. Those seem pretty good odds.

I may have more questions over the next few months. I appreciate all of you who are willing to share.

kam

Comment

Hi All, Well today was the first day back at work since the surgery on June 2nd. It went pretty well! I still have pain and muscle spasms though. I finished 4 weeks of PT learning how to strengthen the rectus muscle and stretch my hip flexors. There has been a big change in my walking since I started these exercises. I also try to walk a mile a day either on the treadmill or outside. It's quite a bit more strenuous walking outside because there's nothing to hold onto when muscles start spasming. I was also getting treatments at PT with a TENS unit. I received my portable one last Friday and I think that is why today went so well. I put it on at noon, and wore it the rest of the afternoon. I usually have the unit set at 40 to 50 on a level 7 program. My husband wanted to give it a try, (I think he thought it would feel kinda like a massage) so I put the contacts on him right where I usually have them (lumbar area) and turned the machine on. He barely made it to a 5. He wanted it off! I think that gave him a little better understanding of the pain level that I have. I see the surgeon Monday, let you all know what he says.
                        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi All, I had my three month check up yesterday. The doctor said my x-rays look good, also the amount of correction that we were able to get was excellent. But, my body is fighting and resisting the corrections. He is not releasing me of restrictions until he sees me again the end of Nov. for my 6 month checkup. If all looks good then, I have to start PT AGAIN, this time for aggressive strength training. I'm to continue my walking and stretching until then. He also said the pain that I keep having seems like it's from the hip graft area and hopefully it will go away with time. I still have alot of muscle spasms on the right side. I was bent to the right for so many years! I'll write again at 6 months.
                          Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi All, I went last Friday, Dec. 2nd for my six month checkup. X-rays look great, looks like all the fusions have taken and the spine has healed from the osteotomy. I still have alot of pain and spasms through. I also still can't stay upright walking for very long, I end up stooping over. I go for a CT scan this Friday to make sure that no screws are hitting the nerves and then the following Friday I go to a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Spec. They are mainly going to be looking at my psoas muscle to see if it's to short or tight. Of course they'll be checking other things as well. When the psoas muscle is tight or to short it pulls downward on your spine causing you to lean forward when you walk. Also the reason they think it is my psoas muscle is that my legs don't go straight down from the hip. The upper part of my legs are pulled forward then they go down. Alot of times it can be fixed with PT, stretching and manipulations, but sometimes it has to be lengthened by surgery. I'll keep you all informed. I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season!
                            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa,
                              Glad to hear that you are making good progress. Now that you are back at work (what is your occupation) you have stated that you are still having pain and muscle spasms..... what meds are you taking to help decrease your pain and are you able to function during the day on meds? Are you having more pain now than before your surgery? Also is it common to have pain 6 months after the surgery. As you stand now.... what is your opinion on your decision to have surgery. Are you happy with your progress..... are you able to function as you did before ( I am a new member of this forum considering revision surgery so I don't know any of your previous history). I know everyone progresses at a different pace.... I am just curious how you feel personally about your progress. You seem to have a great attitude which I am sure helps. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Working...
                              X