View Full Version : Exceptional Ortho MD in NYC?

06-03-2005, 08:41 PM
I am new to this forum and have found the posts very helpful in understanding scoliosis. I am 34 years old and was diagnosed with scoliosis in grade school. The doctor said that my scoliosis was very minor and did not treat it. Also, when I was a new born my feet were turned inward and I had to wear a brace while sleeping for about a year.

In my mid to late 20s my back started bothering me, cracking and popping when I would move in certain positions. Now that I am in my 30s it is really noticable and I am in pain. I recently went to a chiropractor and he told me that my scoliosis does not look like it is structural and that my left leg is longer than my right - this is what is causing the curve in my spine and the pain in my left hip and left mid section.

Is anyone here familiar with something like this? Also, I would like to make an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor, but am afraid of not finding the right one. I live in the NYC area.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!


06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi Jen....

You may need to get a referral to get in to see one of the better specialists. Here are the NYC doctors for whom I've heard good reports.

Oheneba Boachie-Adjei
Frank P. Cammisa Jr
Thomas J. Errico
Baron S. Lonner
Michael G. Neuwirth

You'd be in good hands with any of them.

If the chiropractor is correct about your curve not being structural, you should be able to correct your curve quite quickly by physical therapy. I wouldn't believe the chiropractor about leg length. If the pelvis is even slightly tilted, it can appear that the legs are of different lengths. The only way to know if one leg is truly longer than the other is to have special x-rays taken of both legs.


07-03-2005, 11:00 PM
thank you so much for the information. I guess I have been having trouble replying to this post. I actually read it right after you replied, but my reply to you did not go through. Hopefully this one will.

I will write an update after I visit one of the doctors you listed. Thank you again, this is sooooo helpful and very much appreciated. :)

03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
This is an update on this post. Its been a while, but I finally started contacting the Drs that were refered to me. Insurance is the reason it has taken this long. I found one that does take my insurance, but I was told that he only sees patients that have been refered to him specifically for surgery. I was told that I should see a physiatrist to determine what type of treatment I need.

I am seeing my primary physician to see about getting an mri or full body x-ray or get another opinion about the physiatrist.

What type of Dr. is a physiatrist and how are they different from an Ortho Dr.? I also read the post about the upright MRI and would like to try that because it woulds like it is more accurate.