pregnancy & scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnancy & scoliosis

I have an "S" curve which was diagnosed when I was 12 ( I am now 30!) I was successfully treated with a Boston brace. I am currently pregnant and measuring large for my baby's gestation. I have heard of scoliosis making the fundus measure large although the baby is "on track" in utero. Any info. out there? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like both my pregnancies.

I was treated with a boston brace for an S curve, finally ditching it when I was about to turn 18.

With my first pregnancy it never dawned on me to tell my OB that I had scoliosis. My son measured so big that they were convinced that I was going to deliver a 10lb baby - he was 7lbs 12oz.

My 2nd pregnacy was the same, again they expected big since he measured big, but he was 6oz smaller than his brother, but he was a few days early too.

Best of luck with your pregnancy. I found pregnancy massages to be a great relief for my back aches. I highly recommend them as long as you're out of your first trimester.

-Michelle

Comment

pregnancy & scoliosis

Michelle,
      Thanks for your input. I hate to pry, but do you mind sharing if you were able to deliver vaginally or did the mismeasurement due to the scoliosis force a C-section? I look forward to hearing from you!
      Amy

Comment

Michelle,

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12 with 53 degrees curve. For some reason, I never got treated. I am now 56 years old. I had 3 easy pregnancies during my time, all delivered normally. Don't be scared. I had an S curve too and I was fine. You will be ok.

Lily

Comment

Both births were vaginal without any complications relating to my scoliosis.

Let me second what Lily, said...you'll be fine. Enjoy your pregnancy and the delivery. :-)

If you have any other questions, we're here. :-)

Comment

Please email me again as soon as possible. You know who you are. I accidentally deleted your inquiry. I am very interested in giving you more information about pregnancy with scoliosis. But I lost your name and address. Please contact me again.

Comment

I has Harrington Rod correction at 13 and am now 35. i had my little girl vaginally when I was 23. The on;y problem I had was that the epidural did NOT work. At all. In fact, every epidural injection I've every had for pain to treat my back has had no effect...

Comment

Message for savedbygrace & all

Hello!

I replied to your post by private message, but I don't have any answer. You can write me to jlbbb@wanadoo.es

If anybody with experiences/advices/information about pregnancy and scoliosis want to write to that address, please feel free. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

pregnancy & scoliosis

Hi Amy,
                  I'm new here and don't know if this even matters to you anymore but i had scoliosis as achild and never did anything about. I got pregnant at 25 and gave birth vaginally without any complications. In fact I had the best pregnancy that I actually miss. So I wouldn't worry so much.
                  Good Luck,
                  Leyda

Comment

Hi everyone,
                    I am 24 years old and I'm planning on getting pregnant in the next year or so. I came across this forum and was interested in what the women have shared about their pregnancies. I wanted to know if any of the women who had vaginal births had any major problems with the epidural due to the scoli. Was it difficult for the anesthesiologist to find the right position to insert the anesthesia? This is one of my major concerns. If any one has had this experience I would greatly appreciate it if you share your experience.

Thanks,
                    Mari

Comment

my experience with pregnancy and scoliosis

Originally posted by Mari81
                      Hi everyone,
                      I am 24 years old and I'm planning on getting pregnant in the next year or so. I came across this forum and was interested in what the women have shared about their pregnancies. I wanted to know if any of the women who had vaginal births had any major problems with the epidural due to the scoli. Was it difficult for the anesthesiologist to find the right position to insert the anesthesia? This is one of my major concerns. If any one has had this experience I would greatly appreciate it if you share your experience.

Thanks,
                      Mari
                      Hello, I have had scoliosis my whole life. When I was a youth around age 13, 14...they discovered it. I was in a boston brace for 5+ yrs and it decreased my curve to a livable degree I didn't need the brace anymore.

I went into the Navy at age 18 and within a year and a half I had twins. Now I was warned during my youth that any pregnancy for me would be risky but esp. with scoliosis...I didn't realise how much I would go thru nor as a young person did I think much of it...my twins were born C-sec style due to complications I had...With the scoliosis, they tried an epidural, didn't take, then they tried a spinal and inadvertantly moved 2 full vertebreas up and it caused more problems to the point they almost lost me. I had many miscarirages and then I got pregnant with my youngest. I had him C-sec too, but had little to no problems with any part of it. They did the epidural correctly and all was okay. Oh, and I have an "S" curve....

Preganancy can effect everyone different. Don't be afraid of it, just know your body and enjooy the life you bring into this world. It's worth all the pain or no pain you can endure.

I wish you all the best!

Comment

Epidurals aren't really required!

I had my babies in the 80's and early 90's (with severe double scoliosis) and no one ever even offered me an epidural or any pain control whatsoever! All three were born naturally and vaginally (other than episiotomy) in a hospital with no problems. (I don't think that the lack of pain relievers had anything to do with my scoliosis).

Of course, they often use an epidural or spinal for C-sections, but it seems strange that all of the young women now expect to have an epidural. Do they know that women have had babies for thousands of years without it and survived the pain just fine? Of course, I would recommend Lamaze or some trained breathing techniques if you do.

Also, I measured small throughout my pregnancies for some reason; so that the dr. was telling me to eat more and expecting a small baby, but they were all 8-9 pound babies, so maybe the scoliosis caused the measurement to be wrong.

Comment

I also have scoliosis & wore a Milwaukee brace 4-5 yrs. as a teen. I have had 3 children; the first by emergency C-section and the other two were VBAC (vaginal birth after Caesarean) I had an epidural with #1 & 3, and always made sure to tell the anesthesiologist I had scoliosis (like he couldn't tell, lol). Fortunately I never had any complications. Best wishes to you -

Renee

Comment

When I had my epidural they had to use the x-rays of my back to see where they would stick me. Then they sort of felt down my back counting vertebre to see proper placement. It's just a bit more 'trickier' for an anesthesiologist giving an epidural in a patient who has scoliosis than those who have a straight spine. Best of luck! ~Shelley (btw the epidural didn't really help)
                            25 yr old female =^_^=
                            Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                            Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                            surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                            Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I had epidurals for both of my boys. The second pregnancy at age 39 worked out ok except it seemed to take all night to get the epidural in(I'm sure it was about an hour but the contractions were pretty heated up by then. I had to stay bent over until they (took 2 people)got it in...thk god!!! Looking back I think I would have been better off with a c section but I never raised the issue with my Doctor because the scoliosis did'nt bother me a bit then. It was down the road a bit that I noticed changes & the curves did worsen. Probably due to that second birth & all the lifting of the kids & carry seats!
                              My mistake was not making everyone involved more aware of the scoliosis..Lynne http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                              surgery scheduled for Aug.

Comment

Working...
                              X