Cervical Herniated Disc and New Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cervical Herniated Disc and New Doctor

Has anyone here ever had a herniated disc in their cervical spine? I'm having an MRI of my cervical spine in the beginning of July to check for this. What were your symptoms? My right arm goes numb a lot and I have a lot of should pain and a lot of pain in between my collar bones.

I went to a new doctor 2 weeks ago (Dr. Broyer at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia). He actually seemed interested in my condition and was disgusted that my other doctor completely dismissed the pain I was in. I had new x-rays and my curve measured 37 degrees. That's 4 degrees larger than it was 2 years ago. He thinks I have herniated discs which wouldn't surprise me. Just pressing on 2 of my neck vertebrae shoots sharp around my shoulder blades.

What do they do for herniated discs?

Thanks

Michelle
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Herniated disc

I recently found out I have a herniated disc in my neck. (I also have scoliosis with curves of 40T and 60L) The main symptoms I had were numbness and tingling in my arms and hands and pain in my neck. I went to physical therapy for about a month and was given muscle relaxants, which I take when the neck pain is bad and seems to help.

Comment

Did your doctor mention anything to you about injections? My doctor mentioned that to me. I can't take muscle relaxants because I have asthma.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Herniated disc

No, he didn't mention anything about injections. I did pretty well with the physical therapy, so I think there was no need for further treatment. He may have suggested that if I needed more treatment.

Comment

I'll just jump in here I had a/p surgery in 2002. I have been going to PT for 2 weeks with little relief, so today I go for facet injections in my neck this afternoon. I have wedgeing at T1 with a couple of bone spurs and collapsed disks at C4/5/6 and 7. I'll let you all know how the injections went..
          SandyC
          SandyC

Comment

Hi Michelle! I had three steroidal injections for disk injury in my low back. They didn't work for me, but my understanding is that they work for most people, and can work wonders. I personally knew two people whose pain was eradicated with these injections (all at the U of Penn spine center in Philly).

A friend of mine had symptoms that sound like yours from a trapped nerve in her neck. She had surgery with Paul Marcotte, also in the U of Penn health system, and highly recommends him. After her surgery the problem was completely eliminated. Don't know if this would be an option for you with herniation, but might be useful to know the name.

My understanding is that with disks they usually want to try conservative treatments such as physical therapy, then spinal injections, and surgery as a last resort. Replacement disk treatment is still in testing (if I understand correctly - Linda?).

Good luck. Let us know what happens. I am very interested in disk issues because of my own in the low back. Take care. Laura
            30y/o
            Upper curve around 55
            Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi Laura...

I believe that Charite artificial discs have been approved for one level lower lumbar disc (L4 to S1) replacement in people with degenerative disc disease and no previous spine surgery. They can be used in other ways (off label), but have not been studied (or least reported on) in other ways. At least one other lumbar disc and a cervical disc are now in trials.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well, had my neck injected X4 on Friday. I was injected with both an ansethic (sp) and a steroid. For such a painful procedure and no results , to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The anesithic was supposed to give fairly rapid relief while I was in the recovery room. At this point I still feel the effects of the cortisone So back to the doc.....I know what he is going to tell me, but I really REALLY don't want surgery on my neck
                SandyC
                SandyC

Comment

injections

The injections serve a couple of purposes: to pin-point the exact area of trouble;the local anesthesia would take care of that pain indicating those are the nerves affected; if the disc is herniated and leaks disc material ,that irritates the nerves. Cortisone in that spot, if it is the correct place,will relieve a lot of that. Thus the injections are meant to pin-point the trouble as well as treat it.

Sometimes, breaking the pain cycle with the injections, is all that is needed. If the injections do not work then more investigating is in order as to the cause or, injections in a different spot can be tried.
                  Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Now I know a little more of what to expect if I get injections. I had a cortisone shot before, around my shoulder blade, but it didn't help at all. I hope yours ends up working Sandy. My doctor didn't seem interested in trying physical therapy because I had tried it before and it didn't work.

Thanks for the doctor name lmrb. I'll definitely look into it if I end up needing surgery. The Rothman Institute seems good so far. I really wanted to get in with a spine surgeon, but they only see patients who need surgery. This doctor is a rehabilitation doctor, but he seemed so much more interested in helping me than my previous doctor.

Thanks again for the responses!

Michelle
                    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                    2003- 33 degrees
                    2005- 37 degrees
                    2006- 44 degrees
                    May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                    Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Wall Street Journal on disks; pain cycle

Hi! Thanks Linda for the info! It is much appreciated. I just saw today a front-page article on the Charite and debate about disk replacement. Mostly about no longevity studies, brand-name fighting, etc. Not sure how accurate it was...

About injections and the pain cycle. I had the most amazing experience this month. I badly re-injured my disk (definitely not amazing), but got in there IMMEDIATELY with very strong painkillers and relaxants. Three weeks later I am back to pre-injury form - very scared about future injuries, but more or less out of pain. After the last injury I had, it took TWO YEARS!

Anyway, just wanted to share the happy news Good luck everyone on getting the answers you need... Laura
                      30y/o
                      Upper curve around 55
                      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Dr.Broyer

I am seeing Broyer too! I will have my second spinal injection this Friday by him at the WIlls Surgery Center!!Mary Parris

Comment

Have you been to Dr. Broyer before?
                          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                          2003- 33 degrees
                          2005- 37 degrees
                          2006- 44 degrees
                          May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                          Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I have a question Does one find out about herniated disks in the neck area only with an MRI or it can be seen with the X rays?
                            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness,
                              I had an MRI. You will know if there is something wrong with your neck by how it feels
                              SandyC

Comment

Working...
                              X