New to site asking about exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site asking about exercise

Hi, folks...just diagnosed yesterday at 59 years old! Don't want to consider surgery yet and am curious if anyone has experience with exercizes to strengthen those pesky muscles. Must use water to exercize because of severe joint disease. Any ideas for this old dog?
    Judy Wood
    618-453-3401
    SIUC Student Center
    Carbondale, IL 62901
    jaywood@siu.edu

Hi Judy...

I personally think that strengthening back muscles might actually be harmful. If you do want to do back strengthening, you need to find exercises that specifically address the issue of the differences on the two sides of your back. Again, this is just my personal opinion, but if you want to exercise, finding abdominal exercises that don't involve the use of your back muscles is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda! I have no information about my condition as yet, since it was a real shock to hear the diagnosis at my age! I've dealt with severe degenerative joint disease for many years and know that stronger muscles, ligaments & tendons are supposed to aid with that condition so my husband the exercise guru said I should probably exercise for this condition, as well. I know I need to consult with my doc about it, as well, but I've found that this kind of board sure gives a wide range of experience and suggestions. Thank you for taking time to reply to me. Feel free to use my email if you want to discuss anything further. I'm also a recent bariatric surgery patient and have learned so much from the folks on the Obesityhelp.com web site. Have also made some new friends via that venue. Again, thanks!
      Judy Wood
      618-453-3401
      SIUC Student Center
      Carbondale, IL 62901
      jaywood@siu.edu

Comment

Working...
      X