Advice on good posture, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on good posture, please

Like everyone else here, it hurts to slouch. Do you have any advice on maintaining good posture? I can't exercise much (besides walking from bed to the computer to the bathroom) as a doctor ordered pregnant me to stay off my feet. I'm tempted to lean forward and rest my head/chin on my hand(s) when I get really tired and I do that too much; it's probably making my back worse. Any suggestions? God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
    Corinne
    Last edited by coralewisjr; 05-16-2005, 06:38 PM.

What I'm Doing...

Hi Corinne,
    no idea if this will help or not, but my physio has me doing the following exercise...
    Hold your pelvic floor in (i.e. act as if you need to go to the toilet, but can't, and hold it all in!) and keep breathing without letting it go. At first, it's pretty difficult get past the first breath, but after a while you become OK at it.
    Apparently, it's a very basic Pilates exercise, and is aimed at strengthening your pelvic floor. One of the ideas behing Pilates from what I understand is that once your pelvic floor is strong and doing well, everything else above it strengthens as a natural consequence (i.e. sitting upright while holding your pelvic floor in strengthens your lower back), eventually leading to a better posture.
    I have no idea if this will work wonders for your posture or not, but at the very least, a strong pelvic floor is probably not the worst thing for your pregnancy either!
    Thanks!
    Martin

Comment

Originally posted by javaboy
      Hi Corinne,
      no idea if this will help or not, but my physio has me doing the following exercise...
      Hold your pelvic floor in (i.e. act as if you need to go to the toilet, but can't, and hold it all in!) and keep breathing without letting it go. At first, it's pretty difficult get past the first breath, but after a while you become OK at it.
      Apparently, it's a very basic Pilates exercise, and is aimed at strengthening your pelvic floor. One of the ideas behing Pilates from what I understand is that once your pelvic floor is strong and doing well, everything else above it strengthens as a natural consequence (i.e. sitting upright while holding your pelvic floor in strengthens your lower back), eventually leading to a better posture.
      I have no idea if this will work wonders for your posture or not, but at the very least, a strong pelvic floor is probably not the worst thing for your pregnancy either!
      Thanks!
      Martin
      Thanks.
      Do you mean squat and do that, or do that while sitting? (that feels like a stupid question but I don't understand how to do it)

God bless you,
      Corinne

Comment

Originally posted by coralewisjr
        Thanks.
        Do you mean squat and do that, or do that while sitting? (that feels like a stupid question but I don't understand how to do it)
        No such thing as a silly question!
        They started me off sitting down at first, recommending it as an exercise you can do while you're watching TV and the like. Though I find it helps to be kind of perched on the edge of the chair if you're up to it, as it forces you to sit more upright.

Thanks!
        Martin

Comment

Originally posted by javaboy
          No such thing as a silly question!
          They started me off sitting down at first, recommending it as an exercise you can do while you're watching TV and the like. Though I find it helps to be kind of perched on the edge of the chair if you're up to it, as it forces you to sit more upright.

Thanks!
          Martin
          Thanks. As I have a different equilibrium than usual (thanks to this precious baby in my belly), I find it hard to stay upright instead of leaning back. Is that normal? Do you know ways to combat that besides just sucking it up and doing it? God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
          Corinne

Comment

Originally posted by coralewisjr
            Thanks. As I have a different equilibrium than usual (thanks to this precious baby in my belly), I find it hard to stay upright instead of leaning back. Is that normal? Do you know ways to combat that besides just sucking it up and doing it? God bless you!
            Sounds absolutely normal to me, given that your centre of gravity is probably now a fair bit further forward than what you're used to!
            I definately started to do these while I was in mid-slouch, and I'm sure you could probably do it lying down as well - after time I just found that it had a bit more of an effect if I was sitting up straight. But no big loss if you're unable to, I'd think. It would still work, just not quite as fast. And a slow improvement is better than none at all.

Thanks!
            Martin

Comment

Working...
            X